Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SophieMay
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It'd be great to have someone to talk too who also has misophonia it's ruining my life and I feel hopeless and see no end I'm worried about ruining relationships with my family who I love very much and I can't be around them with my misophonia. I've just started taking Prozac for my severe ocd and am feeling very low right now I know it can make you feel suicidal and I know that I would never take my life, I fear death, and could never leave my family, but I really do feel indescribably bad at the moment, is anyone out there? :(

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, SophieMay! :)

·
Beyond Intuition
86 Posts
Hello SophieMay, I have to be honest. I had to look up misophonia. After reading it I can not imagine what you go through on a daily bases. I can relate with you on the OCD. And I beg of you.....Please don't stop fighting.. Please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

It'd be great to have someone to talk too who also has misophonia it's ruining my life and I feel hopeless and see no end I'm worried about ruining relationships with my family who I love very much and I can't be around them with my misophonia. I've just started taking Prozac for my severe ocd and am feeling very low right now I know it can make you feel suicidal and I know that I would never take my life, I fear death, and could never leave my family, but I really do feel indescribably bad at the moment, is anyone out there? :(
What sort of sounds effect you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey there, I too have misophonia. Mine isn't severe, but it still is bad enough to the point that, like you, it affects my relationships and my mood. I've been dealing with it since the age of 11 (I'm 20 now) and I've just recently discovered that it had a name. My family has always known that I had a problem with certain noises and they have always told me that I had to get over it eventually because I was going to be exposed to those sounds throughout my life. I always hated when they told me that because they had no idea how horrible those sounds were to me. I've always hated sitting at the table for dinner. At loud restaurants, it wasn't too bad, but at home, it was. Sometimes when we would all watch movies together, but once I see one of my parents or siblings bring over a bowl of popcorn, I'd leave. It also has affected my friendships, too. I have a close friend who chews gum and smacks/pops it a lot (which is the worst sound for me). I love hanging out with him, but I would always be so unsure of going out with him in fear that he would be chewing gum. If he wasn't chewing gum, I would always have a great time with him and enjoy myself, but once I see him take a pack of gum out I would get this sickening feeling in my stomach. I was really good at pretending that the chewing didn't bother me, but inside I felt extremely angry and anxious. It sucks. There have been many times when I left activities early because of the noises I would hear. There are so many more things I could write about this, but then this post would go on forever, haha.

Sorry for the rant. I just want to let you know that I know exactly what it's like. When I discovered that the problem was called misophonia, I talked to my family about it. They did a good job at listening and trying to understand, but I really didn't feel like they truly understand it. The best thing I suggest for you to do right now is to tell your family that you have misphonia and explain to them what it is. Unfortunately, as you know, there aren't any medications or cures for this problem. One thing I suggest getting is a white noise machine for your bedroom. It helps me sleep at night as well as cancel out other noises around the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts