Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Lorraine. I'm 37 and have been struggling with SA since I was 12 but it didn't get truly horrible until 17. Now, my panic attacks have worsened and I struggle with agoraphobia. I believe Xanax has made it all worse but has become the only way that I can actually fulfill certain obligations outside of my home and hide this disorder. I have tried yoga, raw food diet, meditation, I go the gym regularly, etc. etc. etc. Nothing works but the drug (in my case). I am hoping to connect with people who can relate and get some insight.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
:wel
Hi Lorraine,
I hope you find lots of advice & support here.
Emma

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello. I've had long term SA too, since I was a kid. It takes a lot of effort trying to adapt behavioural patterns. You should try relaxation techniques. Medication (in my opinion) is no good. Push yourself to do things that you avoid.

·
Author
242 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Helps to know you're not alone. I am 38 and have lived with SA since childhood. Agoraphobia has recently taken over my life pretty much. I don't go out much and has been extremely difficult to make any friends. This is a great site. Everyone here understands.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, LorraineS! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much everyone! I can't tell you how good that made me feel to read "everyone here understands." I am a wife and mother and have panic attacks in the bathroom at my daughter's school when I am supposed to be chaperoning for the science fair and still feel shy around my husband. I have always felt like a freak and didn't know there was a name for this until about 5 years ago. Are most of the members here in therapy? I have never been to therapy. I was prescribed Xanax by my GP when I told him I felt claustrophobic in a crowd. Thank you, thank you, thank you for welcoming me :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, hickool. Regarding the med I feel that medication can be the best and the worst thing at the same time. Lexapro and Prozac did nothing for me but make me sleep. Xanax is the only thing that gives me 3 hrs of relief - and then an 8 DAY panic attack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I had no idea there was such a place Im looking for a way to get the SA Monkey off my back. I used to use alcohol to combat the fear I dont even think Ive ever told any one how I feel. Recently I decided to make a change and quit drinking now Im finding it hard to even leave my house again its become a major problem for me in my job and I need to do something or Im going to loose my mind have any of you made any major progress with therapy or meds?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I understand. Oh dear an 8 day panic attack sounds bad! Surely there has to be an alternative medication for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi hellofagoodguy, I understand completely about the alcohol and the desperation to get some relief. Congrats on quitting. I never would have met my husband if it weren't for alcohol. I think medication is a worse trap than alcohol. Have you tried exercising? It doesn't really do anything for me but you never know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts