Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forums for quite awhile and decided to share my story. Since young, I have always been that quiet kid in school. I am taller than average and will always sit at the back so sometimes, I feel like the teacher don't even know I existed. I never asked questions in class and the remarks that teachers write in my report book will always go along the lines of "She is a quiet girl" "She needs to participate in class more often". I am terrified of oral examinations, practical examinations and speaking infront of a group of more than 4? I have this constant fear that they are judging me negatively. I have sweaty palms and blush easily. I also don't like to shake people's hands because of my sweaty palms but my parents find that I am not being nice??I can't maintain eye contact or call a stranger through the phone. I have never heard of social phobia but recently felt that my worries and constant fear were irrational and weird thus, I decided to check online and found this....Recently, I went for a job interview for a work attachment programme in school. The job interview turned out horribly. It was a group interview which made me even more scared. The interview was with my friends but because i knew they could communicate much better than me, I freaked out. My mind kept going blank, my heart was racing and I felt like dying. I felt stupid for screwing up the interview and didnt really have the mood to do anything that day. Now here's the thing, I haven't told anyone about this except my computer. I don't really want to seek treatment because I feel like I am so indifferent. My dad thinks that I am lazy thats why I don't do simple things like ordering food. He also said that he will arrange more opportunities for me to speak up. :eek: Sorry about the length of this post but can you just help me answer this question?? Should I seek professional help or at least tell my parents or closed friends?? (Sorry if there are any mistakes in the post!!:) )

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Hi Exist3nce :wel

Should I seek professional help or at least tell my parents or closed friends?? (Sorry if there are any mistakes in the post!!:) )
I think you should seek assistance because this is affecting your day to day life. The sooner you try to address it the better off you'll be imo.

·
is trying.
714 Posts
:wels

·
Black Widow
2 Posts
I would

I would seek help and work on self-esteem...it appears to me that may be the issue here, with some social anxiety, but it seems the anxiety stems from your lack of self-esteem. Talking to someone will defiitely help, it cant hurt :yes

·
Registered
148 Posts
I suffer from sweaty hands too when I get anxious so I wash my hands frequently as a consequence but I have heard that there are special hand lotions a doctor can prescribe for it especially if it's severe and making you feel awkward.
I think you should speak in confidence to your doctor as Social Anxiety is a recognised condition. (I only knew of it fairly recently myself) He or she can refer you to a therapist if you'd like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suffer from sweaty hands too when I get anxious so I wash my hands frequently as a consequence but I have heard that there are special hand lotions a doctor can prescribe for it especially if it's severe and making you feel awkward.
I think you should speak in confidence to your doctor as Social Anxiety is a recognised condition. (I only knew of it fairly recently myself) He or she can refer you to a therapist if you'd like that.
Umm I tried Driclor but because its the nov/dec school holidays, I sleep very late and wake up very late. So when i apply it and don't wash it off like after 6/7 hrs my palm will have this stinging sensation....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Exist3nce,

I'm from Singapore too.... so hey there! I'm in the same situation as you.... I never was diagnosed with SA , just found out from an online test that I have severe SA. I don't know what to do since I'm still young and have no idea about how to approach the school counseller or a psychiatrist?! My parents probably don't know about it because I don't experience SA at home (stating the obvious here)....

So yeah I think I'm going to live with it, coz I'm probably too paranoid, plus an online test does not prove anything...
Hi spirit79, its comforting to know there im not the only one with SA in Singapore because I find that SA in sg is not very common. Maybe its because people don't usually share about stuff like that. So I guess we should seek help? Hopefully SA doesnt get out of hand.... Jiayou:)

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
I strongly urge you to sit down with your parents in a NO distraction area and talk to them.I as a parent know that if my 13yr old son was suffering in anyway at all I would want to know! So I could help him,support him,love him, and help seek help for what is going on...... also keeping a daily journal of your feelings is very helpful, I find it allows me to go back and reread what I have written and to see patterns of my feelings. So trust that your parents love you and want you to be healthy ,happy and productive in al you do!
And as for you being "different" can you tell me what is "normal"? Noone knows because there is NO such things as "normal" everyone is different we are all made differently! You just happen to have more in you than others do, you happen to deal with things differently than others do, you are perfect in your own way!! Do NOT let people tell you otherwise!
But know your parents love you, they may not ever be able to understand what your going through,but thats ok as long as you get the support and help you need along with their love you will be fine!!
But seeking therapy and possibly medications to help you is fine there is NO shame in asking for help!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would seek help and work on self-esteem...it appears to me that may be the issue here, with some social anxiety, but it seems the anxiety stems from your lack of self-esteem. Talking to someone will defiitely help, it cant hurt :yes
Yes, I do agree that my self-esteem is quite low. I don't really like anything about myself and always feel that I am so pathetic compared to others. I will probably try to improve on that? I am not sure how to go about it because I am not too keen on sharing it with anyone else except my computer:(((

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, all. I am new to SAS and social anxiety. After living a relatively anxiety-free life, the last few years I have been plagued with a plethora anxiety. I am no longer the me I used to be and I have no idea how to overcome this (overwhelming at times) anxiety. Yes, I have had some major life changes like losing my livelihood when the real estate market collapsed; my (soon-to-be ex-husband) leaving me for "a better life" after I stopped making executive level pay; having a debilitating back injury in June of last year causing me to be bed bound for four months; and, being the primary caretaker for my parents (tho in truth, it is they who have been taking care of me the last year). In times past, I've always managed to keep it together, but now I struggle just to get out of bed in the morning. I'm here to hopefully find some insight and inspiration on how to overcome or at least manage the me I have become.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Exist3nce welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Exist3nce! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In times past, I've always managed to keep it together, but now I struggle just to get out of bed in the morning. I'm here to hopefully find some insight and inspiration on how to overcome or at least manage the me I have become.
Hi suddenlyanxietyridden:) Seems like you are going through a very tough time but as the saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going" Feel free to get advices or help in this forum and I wish you all the best:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts