Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker for awhile now and I figured it was finally time to get involved. I've suffered from some degree of anxiety my entire life. At first I could cope but as time went on I slowly spiraled into a worsening vortex of fear and despair. I stumbled my way through college dealing with speeches, major stomach issues, insomnia
and total exhaustion which drained me physically, emotionally, and mentally.

I missed out on so much of what my college experience should have been, yet I stumbled through the finish line tape with a BBA. Next came the job hunt which had been a source of dread for many years. I couldn't cope and found myself broken down, living back with my parents and facing complete depression. The best thing I had going was a caring and supportive Mom who wanted nothing more than me to feel better.

I didn't mention it but while going through all the fore mentioned, I went on a roller coaster of meds. None of them helped much outside of the placebo effect and my minds collective focus on getting better. After that nightmare around two months ago I finally found the solution.

I had been suffering from Hashimoto's disease my entire life, untreated and with no diagnosis. Finally there was a light at the end of the tunnel guiding from the darkness of a life I had nearly given up on. Since then I've been slowly getting better and my mind and body are coming back again.

I've still got anxiety and health issues but as time goes on I have the hope to fight again. It's just when you go over a decade facing the problems many of you are all too familiar with, it creates a problem almost kin to PTSD. The anxiety was so much an ingrained part of my being that I know it will take time to let it go.

So there you guys go, part of my life story. The only thing I thank my anxiety for is giving me compassion, as I will never look at person suffering any kind of health problems and discount them as all in their head, as so many of the healthy do. Just wish me luck in my endeavor to recovery as I do the same for all of you guys.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, CaptainMiddleAmerica! :)

·
F♯ A♯ ∞
455 Posts
Sounds like you have come a long way Captain. I hope your body and mind continues to improve, and welcome :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey CaptianMiddleAmerica welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. If you need someone to talk to about (insert topic), feel free to msg me at any time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts