Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so glad I've found this support forum. I've been reading many of the posts from the other male members and I realize now that I am not alone. Like many of you, I am not a big strapping masculine guy, I don't know or care much about sports, I don't have a deep baritone voice, and sometimes just listening to my voice makes me even more self-conscious. I can't grow facial hair to save my life, and I can't fix much around the house. In other words, I don't fit the stereotypical ideal of what a masculine man should be and it makes me feel very inferior in the presence of other men who, at times, may be younger than I am. I've seen many posts talking about feeling like you are 12 years old. I don't know about 12, but I definitely feel as though I'm a high school senior. I think part of the reason for that is because I was a shy kid during what are supposed to be very important socially formative years. I never went to either prom, never went on spring break either. So, now at the age of 36, I truly believe that I've suffered from some sort of social arrested development. I really feel down and embarrassed when all the other men on my street (and it's a very small street) seem to all hang out together and I just don't feel as though I fit in. I could go on and on, but I will save it for specific threads. However, I just want to say hello.

·
happy :)
606 Posts
Hey Brad how are you mate welcome to the group, you'll see many of us have similar experiences to yourself, jump right in you'll be glad you did:)

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
:wel to SAS!

·
SAS Member
2,346 Posts
Welcome to SAS! Btw I'm from NY 2!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey bradcook315 welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, BradCook315! :)

·
New to this site
40 Posts
Hey. I can relate to the whole not hanging with the crowd type thing.
I'm from ny to. Nice to meet ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts