Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is Matthew and I'm 28 years old. I've had social anxiety my entire life and just can't get over it using medication. I found this place on google while looking for help with social Anxiety. I can't go to a shrink around here for many reason but at the moment I'm on 40 of paxil, I've been on it for about a month and it makes me extremely tired, its hard for me to notice any positive side effects so far but my mother said it makes me much friendly and less *****y around the house by far...

Due to my social anxiety I haven't found a job in the past year since finishing college, I did my college online and got a BA in information systems, I'm stuck living in Ohio but I did live in NYC for 3 years with a roommate while I worked at Sears in Queens. I want to move there so bad, life seems like such a waste in Ohio but I need money of course.

Due to my social anxiety I don't have any real life friends at the moment, in fact since moving back to Ohio in 2007 I haven't had a single friend since I don't leave the house except to shop or eat with my mother who I live with. I had few, but good friends in NYC. I've never had a relationship at all because being so anti social and I hate it, I want to be that loud person that everyone loves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
welcome!

hey welcome to sas! I know what your going through, im in a similiar situation. I didnt go to college because of my sa. I recently lost my job in june and i was there for three years. When i started my job i didnt have sa and over the three years of my job i developed sa slowly. When i started my job i wasnt afraid of interviews, now im terrified of interviews. My job was the very last thing i had to socially interact with people, i did have friends there but our relationships didnt go beyond the work place because they were into drinking and stuff and im not. I really dont have any friends right now and i want to get better so i can get a job and go to school. well sorry this was a long post but i feel i can relate to how your feeling. if you ever need to talk feel free to message me. ttyl

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey Matthew, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,231 Posts
Welcome, LifeRebooted! :)

·
Back again ...
3,727 Posts
Hello Matthew! :wels

·
New SAS Member
9 Posts
Hi Matt. Im Nicole. I live in SC now but I lived in Ohio in Columbus for a little less than a year in 05-06. I actually really loved it there but Im not from there so Im sure that helped. I too live at home with my parents and Im 31 so at least you're not my age yet in the same boat. My mom died in 2005 and it was shortly after that when I moved to Ohio, I didnt know a soul there but just felt like I was supposed to move there so I did, the single craziest thing I've done in my life. My entire family was against it. I tried to go to college there and did for a semester and a half but then ALL this depression, un-resolved grief, and anxiety came flooding in and I found myself missing classes more and more until I basically wasnt leaving my apartment at all and stayed in bed all day. A professor ended up calling my Dad in SC to come get me b/c she was so worried about not seeing me in class or on campus and me not answering the phone or my door when friends would try to come check on me. I avoided everyone and have been in and out of that frame of mind since then. I had always had "issues" so to speak but nothing anyone knew about, I was able to hide it and talk myself out of it being a big deal. I was the captain of the cheer leading team in high school, ran a health club in my early 20's and have had many other jobs but all of them involving the public and sales b/c I was always great with people and was always very social, talked to everyone, public speaking wasnt even a problem for me but it's like I have turned into a person I dont come close to recognizing anymore and neither do any of the people who have known me all my life or people who met me while I was not like I am now. Im the COMPLETE opposite now and its in this state that I can sympathize with you. I feel like the last 6 years of my life has been wasted. Ive had to move in and out of my parents house and cant keep a job for the life of me. I have closed myself off to anyone not in my house living with me and even then I stay in my room all the time emerging only to go to the kitchen and bathroom. I stay inside for weeks at a time and I hate it. I'm a joke to my old friends Im sure and no one understands what the H*ll is going on with me, not even and especially me. SO, if you need someone to talk to please feel free to Pm me, lol, not that Id be much HELP obviously but I can at least relate to some things. I am VERY new here, like minutes new so Im still figuring out how things work. I too found it when i was googling info. on medications. Although I have to admit as much as it sucks that so many ppl are in the same place I am or close to it, it is kind of cool to be able to see that Im not the total freak I believed myself to be...well maybe, lol.

I could be wrong Im sure, Im not a doctor but from what I DO know Paxil (Paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) which is used to treat panic disorder, OCD, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD has a starting usual dose 25 mg per day; may be increased to 40 mg per day. Controlled release dose maximum 50 mg per day. If you have had social anxiety issues all your life and from what you have described it would stand to reason that you would probably need to be on something a little stronger than Paxil. Paxil is what they started me out on in 2005, it's a drug most GP's feel safe starting with but you are seeing a Psychiatrist right? (wait i see you said you couldnt, for many reasons) Well, honestly someone who specializes in psychiatric medications is what you need. It doesn't "sound" like this is just something you can "get over" and it seems to be ruling a lot of your life and the quality of it. Medication and therapy are ways that this can be changed and without one or both of those, I'm just being honest, It's not going to change more than likely outside of a miracle. PM me and let's talk. I know of some things available in Ohio. Besides, they've tried more medications on me than I can even remember and I'm no expert at all but I have tried MANY so if you want to know about them and the effects they had (although EVERYONE is different) I would be happy to share that with you, just let me know. And Good luck Matt! (sorry I typed so much, my bad)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.