Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm very new to this stumbled upon it googling 'I don't know what to do with my life' and it seemed like a friendly helpful place to be. I've never used forums before but I struggle to talk to people I know properly about anything deeper than what dress to wear tonight so thought this could help me.

I'm not sure if I can be classed as a SA sufferer, but I'll go through a few things as to why I think I might :).

Just to put this into context I'll tell you a little about me first, I'm nearly 20, a second year university student studying a course I hate, with no plans, ambitions and very little money to my name currently.

I am not completely alone, I have a loving family, a large friend group at home and a few friends at University. However out of the large friend group there's only 3 people I can actually talk to without being nervous and as for the university friends there's only 1 I can actually relate to and the others are really just her friends who feel obliged to spend time with me I'm sure.

I find my terror in social situations is starting to take over my life. I used to be a confident happy child and teenager even taking part in plays and singing and dancing on stage, the thought of this now turns me to jelly! I can never get to confidence to speak up in class and then end up frustrated at myself when noone knows the answer and the Lecturer tells us what I was thinking but was not brave enough to say. In group situations I get easily over powered by assertive people.
My course at university really doesn't help, for some reason I chose Events Management and it's a course full of perfectly primped girls in designer clothes strutting around talking about their modelling contracts and hot boyfriends, I've found about 85% of them studied some form of drama in their alevels making my classic studies of History and English literature just remind me how much I don't fit in. Everyone has so much confidence and seem to want to talk to everyone but me.

Everytime I go back home after being away at University for some time I struggle to reform the relationships with my friends, don't know what to say to them, I remember how I used to be bubbly, witty and the top of all my classes for intelligence, now I can't seem to make a joke, have no motivation to do anything and now I am too stupid to do half the things I used to want to do.

I have no idea what I want to do with my life, there's no careers that interest me, I feel constantly lonely and locked into a shell and too embarrassed to do anything incase people think bad of me my self esteem is rock bottom and I let people walk all over me because I constantly tell myself I'm lucky they'd want to spend time with a person like me at all.

Wow that turned into a bit of a rant, sorry for the essay, thanks if you read it :/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome

I think you will fit in here as you have spoken of some things that sound familiar to me. Being new here myself I have found people to be very helpfull and talk alot about their own problems aswell as listen to my own. :D

Oh and rants are perfectly acceptable, I'm a fan of them myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks, guess it'll be nice to talk to people who have similar issues!

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
Welcome. :D

Most of my posts are like no less than 100 words, so use as much space as you need to here.

One difference is I could never get on stage for anything at any point in my life. What we have in common is that I have no career goals/interests either. I can do a bit of everything but I can't excel in one field which is frustrating. I think it's difficult to care about one thing for the rest of your life. I got sick of computers after 4 years, and after the fact that everyone knew how to operate them without my help. :b

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree, I'm like average at everything. Everyone says go to University so I did, but I had no idea what to study, everyone said there was no jobs in classic subjects anymore so I did Events because it sounded fun, but it's really just self esteem blow after blow. I want a good job so I can pay the bills (and pay back my student loan) but I don't know it what area, I don't want to work for it, I don't even think I have the ability to do anything better than minimum wage low responsibility jobs, the thought of being anyone's boss and anyone actually doing what I say seems impossible and scary!

·
Broken and Beyond Repair
257 Posts
Glad to have you here.

I felt the same way when I went into college. I don't think a lot of people find what they really want in college. Sometimes it takes people a little bit longer to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

For me, I didn't look for something that I thought would interest me but what would make me money. In the end, its easier finding happiness once you know what you really want to do, regardless of whether it gets you lots of money or not. My job isn't what makes me happy, its what it allows me to do in my free time that makes me happy. For the time being I have a job that allows me to avoid a lot of social situations and when I go home I can do what I want to do in that free time and not worry about whether it produces income.

But that's just me. You might find what you love in college. The problem is taking the time to know what you want. Maybe its not something that will make you lots of money, but that doesn't mean you should avoid doing it.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I meant SA, not SAS gosh I've managed to mess it up already!
If you browse around here enough, you'll see you aren't the only one who refers to SA or SAD as "SAS"...it's quite common actually, and always makes me laugh.

Welcome!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, GGG! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey 3G welcome. :hyper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts