Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so relieved to have found this forum. I did a search after having a massive attack earlier today, where I was presented with a situation which had me totally uncomfortable. It alarmed my poor hubby :( He knows that I have social anxiety, but it took him a long time to accept it. He usually can coax me into forcing myself to going to an event or something that I don't want to go to. This time it was too much, I started to freak out, sweat, feel crazy. Yeah, I sweat profusely when I'm having an attack. It's like I always worry about what's going to happen and I usually need to know about the event far in advance so that I can prepare my mind for it. He's asked me to go to some event having to do with his boss tomorrow and being that I have a few issues with her don't want to go and fake it. The worst part is that there is no way out of this situation. He said that he'd like for me to go to be supportive, so of course I'm going, but thinking about it is making me nauseous, especially because I'm always stared at. I mean I stick out like a sore thumb at these events, and what makes it worst is that people like to comment on my looks about how pretty I am. I hate it :( I feel like when they are staring they are looking for flaws, or I feel crazy because I can't figure out what the heck they are looking at specifically.

I've been suffering from this disorder ever since uprooting from the east coast (5 yrs ago) to live in the midwest , where my husband is my only family. I don't completely love the people that I'm meeting here, but I am cordial when I see neighbors and am able to deal with people after I've worked out a scenerio in my head :( E.G. how I will start a conversation or enter a situation and how I will end the conversation or exit the situation. The worst part is dealing with my husbands coworkers, who are his friends. I am not all that fond of them, they are super judgemental people. When they first met me all they could talk about was how beautiful I was, and this makes it really uncomfortable for me to go to their events. The boss always tells people all about what I look like and how I'm from where I'm from on the east coast and am STARED AT because of it. I'm examined like some sort of zoo animal. I'm also a minority in a majority situation, so I'm like the "token" pretty minority, so can you imagine what that is like?? Now tomorrow, I have to go to an event and deal with this very uncomfortable situation again. It's like I have to find strength, another personality to deal with this type of situation. I hate it! :mum Anyways, I see that I'm going into a rant. I hope to share and find help here. I really need it. I'm not on any meds, my husband doesn't want me on meds, I don't want to be on meds. I just need a community and hopefully this is one that could help me a great deal :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey indigo, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Indigo! :)

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Hi,welcome to the show,

·
Still Running
387 Posts
Hi indigo, welcome

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Indigo!

I hear you, my boyfriend wants me to go with him to events, mostly his family get-togethers and I go to be supportive even though it's really tough for me. It's getting better over time, though, as I get more comfortable with his family and have found one or two "go-to" people that I can talk to more easily. I hope you find someone among your husband's friends that you can relate to.

I can see why people talking about your appearance all the time would be annoying, but really, they're probably just trying to be nice. They think you like hearing that your're beautiful all the time, because they think "well, who wouldn't like that?"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I feel really comfortable here already. Great site you all have :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts