Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 32 years old guy, french by origin, living in the US for 5 years.

I've always known or strongly suspected that something was wrong with me and my social behavior, but never actually did anything about it until now.

When I was in college, back in france, I had the lowest attedance possible, going there was nerve wracking, and of course, the less I went, the more anxious I was about going back and "what everybody is going to think of me".

After college, I broke bridges with most of my friends and went through a couple very lonely years, involving a lot of alcool and video gaming.

I then met my (now ex) wife, on the web, and moved to the US. We stayed married for 4 years and for 4 years she was my whole life, I didn't make any friends in the US really. We broke up a couple months ago, we are still friends (she is in fact, my only close friend).

I've decided to stay in the US for a while, because I don't want to lose my only friend, but I do want to turn my life around and try to solve or at least diminish my social issues.

Whenever I have to meet new people, I get extremely nervous, sometimes days in advance. I avoid social interaction whenever I can, and when I can't, I feel extremely anxious, out of place... I can't do small talk and have a hard time reaching out to other people in general.

I'm in the process of finding a counselor, but in the mean time, this board seemed very helpful, so I figured I'd ask what you people think of my experiences, if it fits social anxiety symptoms, and if you had any tip for me to move forward.

Thanks,
David

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey David :wels

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered