Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CarpeDiem
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not actually all that new on here, I've been browsing through the discussion forums for about a month now. :D

I'm 17 years old and in high school and I think my main problem is that I care too much about what people think about me.

I'm to preoccupied with making friends and keeping them and about 90% of the people in my grade don't even like me. I just find it really hard to deal with and right now it's affecting me academically which kills me because I feel like my brains is pretty much the only thing I've got going for me.

I want so much just to be like everyone else, happy, bubbly, carefree, with a small but loyal group of friends who I can hang out with everyday.

I hate coming to school every morning and not being sure of who would be willing to talk to me. I have one best friend at school - I don't know what I'd do without her honestly.

Right now I'm just counting down the days till the end of this torture. I've been at this school 4 years and nothing seems to have changed. I think some people are racist too, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I know I'll get through it But every day, I feel a little emptier inside :|

p.s.: sorry for the rant :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey shadesofgrey welcome. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, ShadesOfGrey! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm 17 years old and in high school and I think my main problem is that I care too much about what people think about me.
Why do you care too much about what other people think of you? If it helps any, I used to worry a lot about what other people thought of me until three or so years ago. I am not sure what is the root of your particular issue, but I can tell you about mine.

I just had an epiphany one day and stopped caring what other people thought of me. I decided I would only worry about myself, since I was the one who had to live with myself for the rest of my life. Rather than worrying about there being something fundamentally wrong with me, I decided my core being was fundamentally correct and that I only had to make some light adjustments to myself in order to function with other people. If they did not like me, then bad luck, I was not changing who I was. In other words, I was worrying about my own shortcomings, instead of realising that others were also not particularly so terrific either.

I hate coming to school every morning and not being sure of who would be willing to talk to me. I have one best friend at school - I don't know what I'd do without her honestly.
Hang in there. The great thing about education after high school is that you are not in a confined location with the same people. At university, for example, you are around a lot of different people and if you are concerned about people snubbing you, either directly or indirectly, you will always have another lecture or you can try different cafes or a different part of the library or whatever. In other words, there are more people and a greater variety of personalities, plus people do not have a long history of knowing you and you tend not to suffer from previous judgments made about you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts