Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm introducing myself here. i'm 24, male, i live in montreal and i work in an inbound call center. i just finished my BA in english lit/criminology from a university in western canada, and i am in the process of apply for gradschool here in quebec.

well, my history of social anxiety goes back to about age 14. it was really brutal and 'uncomfertable' see: crying on the way to school, shaking like a leaf in class, etc, etc, from between the time i was 17-22. it was really hard, being a fourth year university student and being so uncomfertable with myself and my environment, being miserable and uncomfertable everyday. i coped by drinking alcohol (before class, before exams, while studying) and taking perscription drugs (clonazepam, ritalin).

i finished my degree in three years by going full time through the summers, because i hated being at shool so much, and to make a long story short, i completely broke down after graduating from exhaustion and the effects of drugs/alcohol.

i was born and grew up in vancouver, and i come from a very wealthy, large and well connected familly - see: i am expected to become a lawyer by the age of 27, many behaviors and places were restricted by my parents because 'people like me' cant sink that low. i lived in an incredibly stressfull environment with a lot of pressure. it was driving me nuts.

anyways, after recovering after graduating i put my degree in my back pocket, packed my bags and bought a one way ticket to montreal. i can tell you, changing my environment to one that is about as different from the one i was in before, has really helped my SA and peace of mind.

i still struggle daily with SA, and browsing through this forum, i have many of the same problems that many members have, but i have really improved over the years and i know some really great techniques (other than drinking) to managing fear of different scenarios that i will be happy to share with people.

so, thats me! haha, maybe its a little bit 'TMI' but im excited to be here and im happy to have a place where i can share my experience and learn from others.

-wishing everyone an anxiety-free day.

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey melrose97 :wel

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, Melrose97! :)

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
hi, I'm introducing myself here. i'm 24, male, i live in montreal and i work in an inbound call center. i just finished my BA in english lit/criminology from a university in western canada, and i am in the process of apply for gradschool here in quebec.

well, my history of social anxiety goes back to about age 14. it was really brutal and 'uncomfertable' see: crying on the way to school, shaking like a leaf in class, etc, etc, from between the time i was 17-22. it was really hard, being a fourth year university student and being so uncomfertable with myself and my environment, being miserable and uncomfertable everyday. i coped by drinking alcohol (before class, before exams, while studying) and taking perscription drugs (clonazepam, ritalin).

i finished my degree in three years by going full time through the summers, because i hated being at shool so much, and to make a long story short, i completely broke down after graduating from exhaustion and the effects of drugs/alcohol.

i was born and grew up in vancouver, and i come from a very wealthy, large and well connected familly - see: i am expected to become a lawyer by the age of 27, many behaviors and places were restricted by my parents because 'people like me' cant sink that low. i lived in an incredibly stressfull environment with a lot of pressure. it was driving me nuts.

anyways, after recovering after graduating i put my degree in my back pocket, packed my bags and bought a one way ticket to montreal. i can tell you, changing my environment to one that is about as different from the one i was in before, has really helped my SA and peace of mind.

i still struggle daily with SA, and browsing through this forum, i have many of the same problems that many members have, but i have really improved over the years and i know some really great techniques (other than drinking) to managing fear of different scenarios that i will be happy to share with people.

so, thats me! haha, maybe its a little bit 'TMI' but im excited to be here and im happy to have a place where i can share my experience and learn from others.

-wishing everyone an anxiety-free day.
Well, it can't get any worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.