Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am Bekind001

i am male
i am 17
i am sixth form student
i haven't had a girlfriend
Everyone has told me i am a shy person my family,friends,teachers and classmates.But i think it's something different.
because i have trouble talking to people
the fear of going to public places or social activities
i am very paranoid and have no self confidence
and when i started sixth form on the first day i had chest pains just thinking of being in the sixth form common room (that was half a year ago and i have never been in the common room since)
i also think about stuff for to long like i can think about a action i did now when it happened a month again
also the fear of the telephone and public transport
The worst fear is the fear of being touched by anyone

Recently I skipped photography 3 times because it's full of people from other schools who i don't know and students who are older walk in to do work because my teacher is very carefree, it's getting worse that i want to drop the subject and even if i don't i will probably be dropped from the course due to low attendance(But i don't want too)

I have now become more isolated and avoidant that the only places i go is school ( down the road from home),home and my dad's home.

and every SA online test i have done it saids i have it,even this one
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/
(49(fear) + 39(avoidance) = 88 ) (i know i should not take these test as real diagonisis)

which makes me think i have Social Anxiety and Avoidant personality disorder for the last few years

The reason i haven't be tested is because of my father because when i told him about this he laughtered in my face and said "my son is mental".

Which made me think that if i do get tested i will be my father's joke which he will tell everyone and i don't think i can refuse meds in that situation and my mother will be disappointed.

·
:/
957 Posts
hi bekind001

It sounds like you have SA to me. You should maybe see a school counselor or a psychiatrist outside of the school. Sorry to hear that your parents are so immature about it. I don't think you'll have to take meds if you don't want to. Hope you continue to find some help here! :)

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
Welcome to SAS! It definitely sounds like you've got social anxiety from what you've described to us, but the only way to make sure is to go to your doctor and get a formal diagnosis. That way your doctor can recommend a method of treatment such as medication or therapy. Enjoy your stay on the site, and check us out on the chat sometime! Lots of friendly, nice, non-judgmental people here.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Hello and welcome. Your parents' attitude is ignorant and must be very frustrating for you, but it's not surprising; a lot of people regard SA as not a real condition at all. Know yourself and try to have confidence in yourself - don't let anyone try to take over, impugn your motives or tell you how you feel. Parents are not always right, and doctors aren't always right, either. Your feelings are real and important to you - find a doctor who will take you seriously. Good luck!

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey bekind001 :wels

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome,
Yes it is very unfortunate you are not getting the support you need from your parents. Let's hope that they (or at least your mother) will learn to understand your problems. I suspect that if you see your doctor, he/she would likely refer you to a psychologist, where you could get an assessment. I hope you are able to sort things out for yourself.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, BeKind001! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.