Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say its good to find a place were people understand the kinds of problems we have. I've had SA my whole life (I'm 28), and reading the experiences posted here, many people have gone through the same things. It's good to know I'm not alone.

In highschool I would go for days without talking to people. I was so quiet people suspected I was some kind of serial killer. I just couldn't talk to new people, especially not women. In college I started using drugs like ecstasy to try to open up to people, which only made things worse and became a problem in themselves.

I'm a writer (I was a bookworm as a kid, for obvious reasons), which I got into largely because it would keep me away from people. I work at home and don't go out unless I have too. I do have friends, and am in fact married, but lets just say that if the stars hadn't aligned perfectly, that never would have happened - I was lucky enough to find someone who can accept me the way I am.

But SA has caused problems for us. Our honeymoon was painful for me - I never wanted to go out and explore, even in some of the nicest cities in the world. I always feel like I'm holding my wife back from having fun.

It's been a problem for my career as well, since I can't handle parties or social gatherings. I can't drink because I worry I'll make a fool of myself or say the wrong thing, so people assume I have a drinking problem. People always tell me to smile and relax, they think it's just shyness. I have a big problem speaking at a normal volume because I'm afraid of being overheard - I can deal with one person at a time alright, but more than one becomes an overload, and I tend to babble or lose track of things.

A couple of social experiences recently made me realize that my problem isn't just a matter of learning to relax around people, and its not my fault. I decided I need real help, and I think I can find it here.

Thank you everyone for being so brave.

ShyShy.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey ShyShy welcome. :)

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Hi ShyShy, welcome to SAS! What type of writer are you? :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, ShyShy! :)

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Hi welcome to :sas

·
Registered
12 Posts
feel ur pain

i can completely identify with everything u are saying as i am also a writer. im glad you have a wife to understand your problems. I had a wonderful girlfriend but all of my lies, insecurities an dissimulation ripped our relationship apart. i feel like we can all get through this if we stay dedicated and do our best to explore wats really going on in our heads.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
welcome to SAS

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts