Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
As cold as ice...
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really opened up to anyone, except about 2 close online friends, about this. I finally decided today that I was going to spend my week off from school trying to figure out ways to help myself because I am beyond sick of being like this.

I used to be a really outgoing kid. I was bullied, sure, I wasn't a 'popular', but I got along with pretty much everybody and had no trouble talking to anybody.

Around my teen years I started getting shy, but it wasn't really bad. Just average kinda awkward 'teen shy'.

I'd say I started getting really bad around 15 years old and it's only gotten worse and worse...

My self confidence was draining, as was my self-esteem, I kept crying more and more easily.

I was too afraid to even take Driver's Ed and ending up getting my license when I was 18. I still rarely drive because I'm afraid to...Whether getting lost (I have an AWFUL sense of direction) or getting in a crash.

I'm 20 years old now. I have no 'real life' friends, and I haven't in a long time. (I started homeschooling in 7th grade and I pretty much lost all my friends like a year later...) I've uh..never had a boyfriend or been on a date, which is kinda embarrassing for me to say...and I can't get a job because I'm too scared to get one. Whether it's the interview or the actual interaction doing the job.

The only thing I'm really doing now is College, but once that's over, I'll be at a dead end because I won't be able to go out and do things with my degree, because I'll be too scared...

I've been depressed a lot the past couple of years and I REALLY want to get better.

My parents don't really seem to understand what's really wrong with me. They're the kinda people who just say the solution to all my problems in shyness is "just go out and do stuff", but if I could do that I really wouldn't have this problem, would I?
I WANT to go out and do things. I want a job, I want friends, I want a boyfriend. I want not to be alone for the rest of my life because of this and not to be a loser. :afr

So I joined up here after some searching online for help with Social Anxiety Disorder (Self-diagnosed)

I'm also planning on joining a martial arts class or something and maybe try Facebook to re-connect with some old friends to help too.

I hope this site and everyone on it can help me. I'm going to try my best at helping myself. :b

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Welcome to SAS!

I hope that you enjoy the site and that you're successful in finding ways to help yourself this week. It's definitely a good way to spend a week off!

I totally feel the same way about being too scared to do something with your degree once you finish school. It makes it really hard to get close to graduation, because you know once you're outside school you'll be unable to ignore the issue any longer. Hopefully we'll both be able to conquer this fear by the time we get our degrees!

:wels

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Ice Machine, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's all about "the next step". It sounds like you are doing a lot to make things better, and that's always good.

also, WELCOME!

·
As cold as ice...
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to SAS!

I hope that you enjoy the site and that you're successful in finding ways to help yourself this week. It's definitely a good way to spend a week off!

I totally feel the same way about being too scared to do something with your degree once you finish school. It makes it really hard to get close to graduation, because you know once you're outside school you'll be unable to ignore the issue any longer. Hopefully we'll both be able to conquer this fear by the time we get our degrees!

:wels
Hopefully. ^_^
Good luck with your degree, BTW! =D

And thanks for the welcomes, everybody. ^_^

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, IceMachine! :)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
:wels Glad to have you with us!