Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I'm new. I'm trying to understand how to deal with social anxiety. It's always been a problem and it seems like I just need to figure out a way to put a mental block on it somehow. I'm 24, never dated anyone, and I have two people that I like to talk to, have called them close friends up until recently, and since I called them out on it, it all seems different (but that's a different story). I would love to have other people in my life who are more like me, but my problem is that I just get so nervous that I find myself literally running away, or end up not knowing what else to say. I have anxiety attacks the moment there's another person around. In situations where I talk, I have a stutter and often feel as if I'm looked at as stupid because I need time to think and form sentences in my head to actually communicate. I don't know how to deal with it and never really found it to be a problem cause I was never aware of how bad it was, again up until recently. I've always been like this, but I was told that it's just me being shy. It's getting to be an actual problem and I just don't want to feel like this anymore. I'm hoping to get better. It's nice to have other people that know what I'm talking about and realize that it is an actual problem and not just me being shy.

(I guess I should say that it's so much easier talking online than it is in real life. Funny thing is... this also is real life. I'm not just talking to ghosts! Lol. I guess it's because there is a screen that I'm looking at and not an actual person?)

Well, anyway, hi! =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
People are always more brave online, because if you mess up you can just go away and never look at it again! You also don't have to physically look at someone which helps! I don't have a stutter but I try to avoid talking a lot to people I don't know well because I jumble my words often and I hate it! You're not alone!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, xPhoenix! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome! The people here seem nonjudgmental and helpful so you've come to the right place. And nice to see another Jersey person on here.

·
Hibernating
1,627 Posts
I sympathize with a lot of what you're saying Phoenix, this place is friendly enough, I'm sure you'll run into tons of us who know what we all got through

1 - 8 of 8 Posts