Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My name is Andrew and I came across this board looking for suggestions through a Google search on what to do alone on a Saturday night. I am not sure if I belong, but I do know I may have some traits of SA.

My problem is meeting people with similar interests and values. I have no problem talking to a guy, but I lock up when it's a girl I am attracted to. Once the ice is broken, I don't have almost any difficulty at all holding a conversation, as long as they are interested.

I do have very few friends. Whenever I try to make friends, it always seems to be me that is trying to do the work and make a friendship. The other person always seems uninterested. I am in my early 20's, so most people my age like to get "****ed up" (excuse the language). I am a social drinker, but I never drink with the purpose of getting wasted. I have some friends who are binge drinkers and always try to get me to do it with them, but I resist. I also have a friend who doesn't like one drop of alcohol at all. Going to a club or bar, which is not the best place to meet quality women anyways, is out of the question when I hang out with him. The rest of my friends have girlfriends and are typically busy on Saturday nights. Plus, they wouldn't go out with me to look for girls since they have one. People my age who do not like to get wasted tend to be "nerds", which really don't match my personality type at all. I enjoy going out, playing sports, dancing, just having a good time in general, but I never come across the right people.

I do admit that one of the problems with this is the fact that I don't leave my house very often alone. As a recent college grad looking for a job, I don't have the financial stability right now to join a gym. I did join a soccer league in May, but I didn't really meet anyone. Ironically, the people on my team were "nerdy" and a bit older than me. It just seems like I don't get a lucky break when it comes to social encounters.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Andrew welcome. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, VivaVida5! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi Andrew, welcome to the site :)

I understand what its like to not know what to do with your spare time. My friends growing up liked going out getting drunk, something I never wanted to do, so eventually I stopped seeing any of them. Now if I do go out, its normally alone. I have a younger brother who goes out with me sometimes, but his sa is worse than mine, and he doesn't like to go out too often. It can be hard to motivate yourself to go out alone, but sometimes you've got to push yourself. Next week i'll be going to a music festival, and don't have anyone to go with. I'll feel lonely, especially seeing so many people in groups enjoying themselves, but its better than sitting alone in the house. Who knows, I might meet someone else who's there on their own (long shot I know, but I can hope).

Keep trying mate, and hopefully you'll meet people who have similar interests to yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts