Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm I'm still not quite sure why I joined up here. I don't think I suffer from SA to quite the extent that some people here do. In the past I would say that I have, my first year of uni was hell, I felt alienated most of the time (the 1.5 hour bus ride each way gave me too much time to ponder and worry) and I guess I started having an anxiety about going to uni. By the end of the year everytime I travelled to uni I got physically sick, and if I got stressed out in situations with people I'd feel my skin tingle and my heart pulsating. I tried to give it another go in 2nd year but I realised how unhappy it was making me so I intermitted my studies in the hope that I would one day be able to return and complete my degree. I'd already been on Lexapro for a year and I decided to get counselling as well, the councellor helped me slowly build up my confidence by getting to do start doing things I never had the self confidence to do. My sleeping patterns were a mess though, I was usually going to bed at anywhere from 5am-11am in the morning, sometimes missing a day altogethar. (they still are actually...working on them atm...was diagnosed with not 1...but 2 sleeping disorders...another thread lol)

The best thing for my lack of confidence/depression and I suppose 'social anxiety' was getting a job. I worked as an office assistant and then receptionist for my Dad's company full-time for 18 months. In that time I well and truly got over any fears about talking on the phone and dealing with a lot of people. So I guess now a lot of those things don't bother me, I'm able to be a lot more assertive then I used to be and certain situations that might've once been stressful don't bother me at all.

I went back to uni last year and it went along a great deal better, this year I doing what will hopefully be my final year.

I still consider myself a work in progress though. I'm a pretty isolated person and I still find it hard to open up and trust people. I guess that is why I am here. And I still get berated by my brother because apparently I don't talk enough to the check out chick...lol

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey rumjungle :wel

·
Registered
154,231 Posts
Welcome, RumJungle! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.