Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the most important holiday in the US, what do you know about it?

·
Banned
10,878 Posts
Nothing .

All I know it has something to do with Turkey and Indians .

But I do know a lot about the American Revolution ... as well as the Civil War .

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Nothing .

But I do know a lot about the American Revolution ... as well as the Civil War .
Aren't you from New Zealand though :um actually it's the day the U.S gained Independence from Britain. :) ..i think that's right :lol

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,193 Posts
Something about aliens invading the planet and Jeff Goldblum is amazing, and Will Smith was also there. Life got hard for him after he moved away from Bel Air.

Nothing .

If you're not joking, that's thanksgiving.

Unless it's also Independence day and I don't know, I don't know what you crazy kids get up to.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
I believe former president Clinton summed it up best here:

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
Yes today is the day, the u.s saved the world from an alien invasion.
Note: im from the u.s, so i know more about what happened on this day

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Don't know anything about it, but given the name I presume it's the date when the Thirteen Colonies became independent.

Edit: Just looked it up online, it's the date when the Thirteen Colonies declared independence.

·
6,040 Posts
I know what's all about but I can't care less. Why would I? Do you know anything about the independence day of my country or any other country in the world? I am positive you don't.

I bet some of your own people don't know what 4th of July is all about either, so no need to ask foreigners:
Of course, this is a collection of morons. An exception, not the rule.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
The epic day we gave the UK the bird.

Pic removed

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know what's all about but I can't care less. Why would I? Do you know anything about the independence day of my country or any other country in the world? I am positive you don't.
I actually don't know what country you're from.

But anyway, I asked UK SASers because our independence day was independence from Britain, so it's not just American History, it's part of their history as well. It's not like I asked Chinese SASers if they knew about the USAs independence.

I'm curious what's taught about this event over in the UK, how much they learn about it and whether we learn the same things.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,193 Posts
Some people on my street were celebrating I think, that or it was just a massive coincidence that they decided to use fireworks today.

Spot the US expats/people with ironic sense of humour. :lol

·
Banned
16,644 Posts

I bet some of your own people don't know what 4th of July is all about either, so no need to ask foreigners:
Lol, I know exactly where that is. That's the Oceanside pier. People down there are stoned into oblivion 24/7, so that doesn't surprise me.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,193 Posts

'It'sssss China' Oh my god :') seems legit.

But anyway, I asked UK SASers because our independence day was independence from Britain, so it's not just American History, it's part of their history as well. It's not like I asked Chinese SASers if they knew about the USAs independence.

I'm curious what's taught about this event over in the UK, how much they learn about it and whether we learn the same things.
According to the video you should have done. :')

But seriously we don't really cover it in much detail in school, we studied Native Americans a lot though (in my school, I guess it's going to vary a bit from school to school.) The Atlantic slave trade, I think that's it for US-British stuff (aside from the cold war.) A lot of history in the UK in highschool is centred around the industrial revolution, world war 1 and 2 and the cold war. Also the English civil war.

Also Jack The Ripper, because if it's not violent and bloody enough people here lose interest.

We have a lot to cover so tons gets left out lol.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

Very little is taught about the British Empire and colonialism here and we don't learn much American history/politics here either. It's only at high school and university level that American history/politics is studied but the level of detail varies.

Although I studied the Civil Rights/Feminist Movements of the 1960s and the Vietnam war when I was 15/16 for my GCSEs. And my younger sister learned about the American Revolution for her A levels (exams taken at eighteen). But personally I know absolutely nothing about the independence of the USA, and apart from my sister I don't know anyone else here who does.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Given that the British have a few thousand years of history to cover, I'd be surprised if it's mentioned at all.

No offence to Americans, but it really was an infinitely more significant event for your country than it was for theirs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts