Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled across this forum and thought it was interesting. It's comforting to know that other people have the same problem with social anxiety.

My story, summed up:

I'm a 38 year old male and have had social anxiety since grade 11. Before that time, I was happy go lucky. Then for some reason, the anxiety kicked in. I dropped out of high school, as much as my parents hated it. I started working with my father as a plumber and did so for 5 years. Anxiety wasn't so much of a problem, since I was only working with my dad. Then unexpectedly, he passed away from a heart attack. I was 25, still living at home. Depression set in, along with my social anxiety. I was so scared to go back to work and meet new people, I didn't find work for 2 years. After 2 years, I met a woman online, we moved in together, bought a house and eventually got married. The major problems were, I never socialized with her family or friends and I couldn't hang onto a job more more than a month. This lead to us separating after 15 months of marriage. I ended up moving back home with my elderly mother. I started seeing a psychiatrist for my depression and anxiety.

Skip head 5 years and my mother passed away from lung cancer. I was left by myself, no job and little money. I was forced to sell the family home and bought a small condo. I ended up going on government assistance and disability due to major depression. I was barely getting enough money to live on, so I sold my condo this past July. Now I live alone in an apartment, along with my dog.

Even being medicated, I still suffer depression and my anxiety has gotten worse! My shrink set me up for group therapy a while back, but I was so scared, I didn't go! I hate leaving the apartment, even to check the mail. When I have to go out to the grocery store, I do it at night, before closing, so there is less people. I have no one to talk to during the day, so all I do I sit around and watch tv.

Coming on to holiday season, it's horrible. When you have no family and friends, plus being afraid to meet people. It gets really lonely and depressing. It doesnt help that my self esteem is gone, especially being 330 lbs. i dont even want people to look at me. After all this time, I don't know how many more years I can go on like this.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Hi Rocketman! Welcome to SAS!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Todd, welcome to :sas

·
The Beautiful Struggle
197 Posts
Welcome to S.A.S i hope you enjoy your time on here and make plenty of friends, look forward to reading your future post. And your life seems like its full of ups and downs luckily your at the right place, if the meds aren't helping then hopefully you will be willing to spend some time on the forum and just vent/talk out your feelings with someone even on a daily if needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I feel better already, knowing I have a place to go if I need to talk.

BTW, I like your Canadian Flag sig, Jcgrey :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Rocketman1973! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts