Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this site and hope to become part of this community. I am not sure if what I have is social anxiety, but I hope to find out in the near future.

This seems to have developed only recently, where I have trouble talking to anyone. My first year of college is coming to an end and I have been unable to make a single friend. I try to do my best making small talk, but I can't talk for long without panicking and finding some reason to abandon the conversation. Even when invited places, I try to avoid them at all costs, making people think I don't want to be around them. The only way I can explain it is through example, so, here it is.

Someone I know from high school invited me to hang out with a 4 or 5 guys neither of us knew too well. When approaching their room I just panicked and before they could open the door I just booked it. In the end I was convinced to go, but pretty much sat there for a few hours like a deer in headlights, trying hard to keep myself contained.

In High School I felt a bit of this but always got through just by doing something weird, as I had a long running reputation for being some odd dude who people loved going on weird "adventures" (as we called them, a joke) with. Now, everyone I know seems to have grown past that. I am not really depressed because of it, but have taken to talking to myself a lot and now everything in real life seems like it is surreal at all times of the day. Even when I reach out to people I knew in the past, they don't seem to care.

All I know is I hope I can be part of this a community like this, where everyone seems to be so welcoming.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Chthonis! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and hope to become part of this community. I am not sure if what I have is social anxiety, but I hope to find out in the near future.

This seems to have developed only recently, where I have trouble talking to anyone. My first year of college is coming to an end and I have been unable to make a single friend. I try to do my best making small talk, but I can't talk for long without panicking and finding some reason to abandon the conversation. Even when invited places, I try to avoid them at all costs, making people think I don't want to be around them. The only way I can explain it is through example, so, here it is.

Someone I know from high school invited me to hang out with a 4 or 5 guys neither of us knew too well. When approaching their room I just panicked and before they could open the door I just booked it. In the end I was convinced to go, but pretty much sat there for a few hours like a deer in headlights, trying hard to keep myself contained.

In High School I felt a bit of this but always got through just by doing something weird, as I had a long running reputation for being some odd dude who people loved going on weird "adventures" (as we called them, a joke) with. Now, everyone I know seems to have grown past that. I am not really depressed because of it, but have taken to talking to myself a lot and now everything in real life seems like it is surreal at all times of the day. Even when I reach out to people I knew in the past, they don't seem to care.

All I know is I hope I can be part of this a community like this, where everyone seems to be so welcoming.
Welcome brother! Hey I'm also odd and I used to talk to myself as well. But you know that's the best part. You are free to be yourself. I'm still weird. I guess I'll never grow out of that one.:D. We are there buddy, if you ever need us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts