Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Ive just stumbled across this forum by accident but it looks like a great place to get some help/advice on my problems.

I think i always was likely to suffer from anxiety as my dad has done all his life...hes the anxious type.

Im 21, have just finished a very stresfull final year of uni.

Well i started having panic attacks when i was 18, it was very rare though, and only usually before exams ( i put alot of pressure on myself to succeed)

It was never really a major problem until i was 20 at which point i suffered another bout of them ( again before exams)...symptoms included rapid heart rate,severe tremor,sweating , nausea etc etc.

I noticed that whenever i anticipated an anxious period , my appetite would die on me totally.

At 21 i broke up with my gf....now this is when things got bad. Obviously i found the breakup upsetting and i would say that i became mildly depressed. My anxiety rocketed, particularly whenever i saw her. I felt like my general level of anxiety had increased massively. Unfortunately the breakup coincided with my final year of uni and i was stressed out and anxious about that as well. The combo caused my anxiety to worsen to the extent that i lossed all sense of appetite.

I went to my GP for meds to get me through my FINAL set of exams as i anticipated anxiety attacks. I was on propanolol , a beta blocker, which helped with 70% of my symptoms, although i noticed i was now throwing up before any form of stressfull event.

Uni is over and im back home, but i feel like im in such a state. I fear going out of the house and i cant seem to eat whenever im even slightly nervous ( which is most of the time)...so i cant go out with friends to dinner etc...i now get nervous eating in restaurants etc.

Im hoping to start CBT soon and i pray to god it works. I dont want to become dependent on meds all my life.

Thanks for listening.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey godhelpme welcome. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, GodHelpMe! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts