Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I registered on this site because it's gotten to the point that I need to make a change to save a grade in a certain class, due to classroom participation. I go to a uni, and this one class I'm in has participation accounting for 10% of the grade, and the last thing I want to do is settle for an A- or B+ because I didn't come out of my comfort zone for a few moments. It's about half way over, and I figure if I can contribute at least one thing each class for the rest of the way, I should be fine.

The worst is I think about it way too much. Recently, when I know I have something interesting to say, I'll second guess myself and think well you haven't talked this whole time, and if you all of a sudden do, people will be like wtf? Almost like a light switch, night and day difference. I hate it. Also, I can't stand the thought of how the Professor views me...I come to every class and make eye contact, but I hope she doesn't think I don't talk because I don't care...I really enjoy the material...but I would never tell her I have SA or am shy.

What makes matters worse, is when we do group activities and each group presents something, by the time we get to my group, my heart rate skyrockets, and I feel like others will see my heart beating out of my chest. When this happens, it's almost impossible for me to want to volunteer. Also, we will be having oral presentations in a few weeks, and I do not want my hands shaking to everyone and the heart rate (which has been the norm all these years-but I've never tried to find a cure).

So, this brings me to the actual reason I wrote this...and that is to get something that will help me. After browsing threads on here, it seems like Propanolol (beta blocker) would be perfect for me...as really all I need is something to stop the "flight or fight"...I feel like I'd be perfect with these classroom actives if my mind (not interested in sedatives or things to change myself psychologically) and everything was the same save the heart rate and shaking palms.

But, I know this is prescription, and my doctor is over a few thousand miles away in my hometown. I would go to a doctor here, but I don't think they'd give a prescription during their first meeting, no?

The other things I've read about which seem promising are:
Phenibut
Picamilon
L-Theanine
Passion flower

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
A beta blocker is usually prescribed without a problem, explain your situation and he should give you a beta blocker, its possible be will refuse benzo's but you could try.

Those supplemens generally arent very effective for a condition as social anxiety, a beta blocker should be perfect to stop the physical symptons of your anxiety.

·
Banned
232 Posts
any doc should prescribe a beta blocker to be taken as needed
they are an older med for anxiety so younger docs may need to be reminded how they help
also get some valium, both meds go well together

·
Registered
130 Posts
any doc should prescribe a beta blocker to be taken as needed
they are an older med for anxiety so younger docs may need to be reminded how they help
also get some valium, both meds go well together
Yes get a benzo w/ that beta blocker. experiment w/ it to see what dosage you will need, don't take too much of a benzo b/c your brain will slow down too but it is a BIG help w/ public speaking imo.

Go To the Doctor, Don't Wait!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the others to try a betablocker and that is isn't hard to get a prescription for that (unlike benzos). When I've run out and been unable to get into see my regular doctor, I've gone to a walk in clinic and been immediately prescribed it no problem. It is is not an addictive or habit forming medication so generally doctors have no concerns prescribing it. Good luck! I hope it works for you. I remember school years ago with class participation and presentations and know exactly how you feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts