Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a person who has social anxiety,but has learned new ways and was helped with Effexor. I actually feel now that I am free of a blocked social connection to other people.

I used to cope with being shy by not opening up to people (at least not completely). If I did open up and was let down by a breech of confidence I would try to repair the friendship, but found it really easy to just move on.

My question is this:

I have known a guy now for three years and can just not get him to open up to me. He has social anxiety and gets really stressed in group settings. He is ok with his immediate family , but even though I am pretty sure he likes me he is still very hesitant to open up to me. How do I communicate with him???

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, TamiWilson! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Tami :wels

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

You shouldn't be trying to "get" this guy to open up to you, just let him know that you'd be a good, understanding and non-judgemental listener, should he ever want to talk. He'll open up if and when he's ready.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, This is what I have experienced. I just wasn't sure it was enough support. He does respond in his own way and in his own time. I really really like this guy. He is so humble and gentle. When he looks into my eyes it is like his soul is looking at me. He can almost read my mind. He really loves compliments, but I don't want to seem too overly consumed with him. People make fun of me at times when I give him too much attention. Is it possible I will ever truly know him???? He once said what he wants is from me , "is for me to be comfortable with him". His time frame is sooo slow, and mine is sooo fast. It is hard for me to not be dicouraged. Thanks for some support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, This is what I have experienced. I just wasn't sure it was enough support. He does respond in his own way and in his own time. I really really like this guy. He is so humble and gentle. When he looks into my eyes it is like his soul is looking at me. He can almost read my mind. He really loves compliments, but I don't want to seem too overly consumed with him. People make fun of me at times when I give him too much attention. Is it possible I will ever truly know him???? He once said what he wants is from me , "is for me to be comfortable with him". His time frame is sooo slow, and mine is sooo fast. It is hard for me to not be dicouraged. Thanks for some support. I do not want to lose him. Does he know it is hard for me. I told him once he is the only man who has ever confused me. He is also the only person who has ever been able to get me to stop talking. It's like his shyness has power. He is also very intelligent and I feel really attracted to this./QUOTE]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts