Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really, I can't seem to think of what I want to do, I am open to any and all suggestions, I look around every now and them but I can't seem to ever find anything I don't have an issue with, perhaps someone here knows about something that slipped by me, which is very likely since I am clueless about the world in general.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Yeah, throw us a bone here. Tell a little more about your interests or even what you don't like. Are you good at anything? Sports? Hobbies? What has been your favorite class so far? Are you doing well in school? What matters to you- money? location? etc.

There is a common theme on this forum that tends to harshly condemn the "follow your interests" theory of life. I keep seeing posts that say "I studied what I liked and now can't find a job" therefore, following your interest is an evil, doomed strategy. Of course, there are also just as many posts about "I majored in engineering just so I'd get a job but no one will hire me now".

There is nothing wrong with being uncertain about what career path to take. There is the other extreme where someone knows what they want to do since childhood and those people are always somewhat annoying. How can you know at age 12 you want to be a doctor or a police officer when you haven't seen or experienced anything in the world yet? Are they just going by what they see on tv? So consider your situation a fairly normal process that many people go through. I have heard older successful people say that some of the most successful people they know still don't really know what they want to do (but they have strong interests).

Anyway, the most important thing now is avoid taking on too much debt. I'd even consider taking a break from school and working for a year or two. If you feel cornered into making a decision it's hard to make a good one. It's never too late to go back to school.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
My major came to me one day while I was watching TV. There was a program on about abuse that takes place in the child care industry. My reaction to it made me certain that I wanted to work with little kids. :yes Before then, I didn't really know what I wanted. I was orginally an English major simply because I liked English classes but I wasn't as passionate about it as I am with this major. You can get all the suggestions in the world but it really just comes down to what shakes you up most - what gets your blood pumping.
Looking at your interests, maybe you'll wanna get into game designing, or illustration (art...since you like manga), or animation (since you like anime; my best guy friend is actually an animation major) or...I don't know. That's all I can come up with haha.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well first of I am making money off school instead of loosing it, my school doesn't cost at much as I am getting in KEES money and grants and I am getting a fat check each semester for leftovers, CC is cheap, so right now debt is not an issue at all.

I hate math and science, which kills alot of good stuff I hear. I remember a thread where everyone was talking about a librarian and it seemed interesting to do, thought about health care and other medical jobs but I am still uncertain about it, I am done with technology though, took 3 years of computer classes in high school, its interesting but its just not for me.

·
Banned
309 Posts
well if you want to be a librarian, i do know that you can have any type of bachelors (any subject) and still apply to get your masters. So you could do something you like but don't really want to career in and get your masters to become a librarian. :3 i know because i considered it as well^_^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts