Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Hiding In My Den
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new computer a week ago and would like to transfer my pictures and firefox bookmarks, etc over from the old one. But the easy transfer thing isn't recognizing it...when we hook it up both computers stay stuck on the transfer screen with the picture of the cable plugged in. Our old computer is on xp and new one is on vista, is there anything else I need to do...their hooked up to each other exactly like the picture says to so the hookup is fine.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Do have a router, I am assuming so but just want to make sure.

I never use "easy automated" software and I prefer the old fashion way

in your Documents folder there should be a shared folder, put everything you want to transfer in it(don't think you can get bookmarks, sorry) but everything else you want should go in your shared folder. This is on your Xp computer

After that on the xp machine go to "my network places", and "set up a home or small office network" follow the directions and turn "on" file sharing when asked, on your vista machine you go open up the "network" option on the start menu, you may be asked to turn on file sharing at the top, do so and choose private network as your next option, wait and all you computers in your network should appear, click on your xp computer, shared documents, and copy paste to your new computer.

Again, can't help with bookmarks but that should cover your pictures and stuff, games will have to be installed separately also. Both have to be hooked up to a router, wired or wireless, wired has way faster transfer speed though.

· Registered
3,219 Posts
If you don't already know, firefox saves all your bookmarks in an html file. Manage bookmarks->export. You could probably just email that to yourself.

As far larger files, I always just take the HD out of my old computer and stick it in my new one, granted the motherboard will accommodate it. I've also used FileZilla client/server and transfered files over my network. I'm not a fan of windows file sharing personally.

· Registered
61 Posts
Are you trying to connect both computers directly to each other via ethernet cable? If so the normal ethernet cables that you're probably using won't work, you need a special kind to directly connect rather than through a router. I forget what they're called, crossover cable maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.