Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

HELP! Uncontrolled worry

662 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cavemanslaststand 
#1 ·
Okay, so here's the situation. I took two flights to get to Florida today.

Flight 1 = Minneapolis to Philly.
Flight 2 = Philly to Florida.

On Flight 1, my jump drive (USB memory) fell out of my back pack onto the floor underneath my seat. I heard something maybe fall out of my backpack, but I just chalked it up to plane turbulence and thought nothing of it. The jump drive has several years of tax returns of my family and many important account information.

Now I'm have uncontrolled worry that info can be used by someone to get credits cards, identity theft, etc.

I already know I was stupid not to password protect and encrypt that jump drive.

Hopefully the detailing crew will see it and think it's junk and toss it (best scenario).

My question is should I worry and continue to destroy my vacation? I'll call up the airline tomorrow to see what they can do.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, I am so sorry this happened to you. I would contact the three credit bureaus right away and have a either a fraud alert or security freeze placed on your credit. You may only need to contact one of them and then they forward the info on to the others. Visit the websites below or call.

Experian: www.experian.com
TransUnion: www.transunion.com
Equifax: www.equifax.com

I hope everything works out.

#4 ·
Do the things that you can do, and don't worry about the rest (as much as you can manage to). Presumably the USB may simply get trashed or it may fall into someone else's hands. The chance that that someone else is going to use your info or give it to someone who would use your info are very small I would think. (They might copy your songs if they like them ;)). Maybe for a while just be a little extra watchful on your finances to catch fraud if it were to happen (unlikely). In most cases you would not be liable - i.e. credit cards if fraud happened. The information we have on databases all over the world is a magnet for identity thieves, but not many spend time looking under plane seats for USBs hoping if they find any that there would be useful financial info on there. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.