Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my doc today about my concerns with Effexor's side effects.

I like Effexor as far as anxiety/depression control, but I've gained 40 pounds in the two years since I started (from 175 to 215 - not acceptable) and I've finally reached a breaking point. I'm a college kid that's supposed to be in the prime of my life, and I can't even play basketball or pick up girls like I used to because of my weight.

One thought was to start taking Adderall... I have noticed terrible attention lately, especially with reading for class. I know that Addy holds back your appetite and helps you lose weight, although it's addictive and volatile in the college environment.

My doc convinced me to go on Wellbutrin today. He said it hits dopamine rather than serotonin receptors, and is a stimulant that could help with my attention problems. He also said it is weight-neutral or weight-loss for side effects.

My taper plan is this... this is the scary part...

I take 150 mg of Effexor right now. He prescribed me a bunch of 37.5 mg pills...

First week: down to three 37.5's
Second week: down to two, start Wellbutrin
Third week: down to one effexor, increase Wellbutrin

I'm scared after reading all of the horror stories on here about Effexor... can I do it? I want to lose this extra weight so badly and I exercise plenty and eat fine. It has to be the frickin' Effexor.

Thanks!!!

- Alex

·
Registered
34 Posts
Adderall

I wish I had some advice for the Effexor withdrawal, but that's one med I have never tried. It sounds like taking it very, very slow should do the trick.

As for the Adderall, I don't think it's a volatile med at all. I have taken it and never found it even remotely addictive, and it does help with attention. Too much of it is not good though, so be careful with your dosage. Too much can actually make you more inattentive.

Good luck to you...I know how hard it is finding the right combination of meds. :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you have anxiety, Wellbutrin may actually worsen it (especially in Effexor withdrawal). Maybe you could try an SSRI + Wellbutrin combo, like Zoloft + Wellbutrin ("Well-loft").

·
Registered
141 Posts
In my experience of tapering with Effexor, your schedule is a bit aggressive. I noticed I could easily drop from 300mg to 150mg. From 150mg to 75mg was a little more work/time (maybe a couple weeks extra), but the real trouble started sub 75mg tapering.

I'm not saying you won't be able to taper to one 37.5mg pill in three 3week, but for me that was not possible. Just be patient. Wellbutrin isn't that great anyways... lol (but it may be great for you).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I know that Addy holds back your appetite and helps you lose weight, although it's addictive and volatile in the college environment.
Go back 45 years and amphetamines would have been commonly prescribed for weight loss. The DEA would certainly think it addictive, making it a C-I controlled substance, as highly restricted as any legal drug. College students are infamous for abuse of stimulants -- so they can stay up all day & night cramming for an exam after an entire semester of parties that kept them from ever studying before.

He also said it [Wellbutrin] is weight-neutral or weight-loss for side effects.
I'd agree that Wellbutrin does have an appetite suppressant effect based on personal experience. In fact, it was even studied as a potential weight loss drug. The FDA didn't approve it for that use though as they deemed the amount of weight loss too small to call it a weight loss treatment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, It's been a week and I'm down to 75 mg of Effexor (original dose 150) and just started my Wellbutrin. I was really lightheaded today, but i think I'll adjust. No brain zaps yet...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question about Effexor to Wellbutrin

I have been taking 225 Mg Effexor Xr for 8 years and would like to switch to Wellbutrin 300 Mg, mainly for 2 reasons; sexual side effect are less and it is safer to be on when pregnant. I have done a regime of 2 days of regular 225, followed by a day of 37.5 less, for two weeks and Now would be taking 187.5, The next step is another 2 weeks to get down to 150.

what I'd like to know is when is it good to start on the wellbutrin. can I add it to effexxor 150 and take 150 wellbutrin, then continue to phase out effexor until I can add 150 more of wellbutrin.

Thanks for your replies.

Rosa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts