Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"What is the key scientific question that the author is addressing?"

....and I responded....

The key scientific question that the author is addressing is whether or not the ant M. schumanni is responsible for the large stands of trees by the intentional poisoning of surrounding plants (those that are not D. hirsuta) in order for D. hirsuta saplings to grow, thus allowing more nesting sites for the ants to colonize.

Is this a run-on? It sounds funny.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
"What is the key scientific question that the author is addressing?"

....and I responded....

The key scientific question that the author is addressing is whether or not the ant M. schumanni is responsible for the large stands of trees by the intentional poisoning of surrounding plants (those that are not D. hirsuta) in order for D. hirsuta saplings to grow, thus allowing more nesting sites for the ants to colonize.

Is this a run-on? It sounds funny.
On first read, it got confusing after "by". Do you really need to include the reason that the ants do this in the sentence?

This isn't great, but I think something like this is a little clearer:

"The author addresses the question of whether the ant M. schumanni is responsible for producing the large stands of D. hirsuta trees by way of poisoning other plant species in the surrounding area and thus allowing more D. hirsuta saplings to grow."

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I like carambola's answer. You could possibly do it this way as well:

"The author addresses the question of whether the ant M. schumanni is responsible for producing the large stands of D. hirsuta trees by way of poisoning other plant species in the surrounding area. By doing this, they allow more D. hirsuta saplings to grow which will give their species more nesting sites to colonize."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts