Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering if anyone out who has SA, ever has to do speeches? I have to do a best man speech in front of about 200 people.... yikes. I'm thinking that a few drinks may help before I have to do it may help, but I don't want to give it drunk either.

I want to be able to relax and speech clearly and engage the audience as much as possible.

Any techniques out there, or relaxing meds, or some formula of over the counter meds and alcohol ? I had propanolol prescribed to me once, has anyone had success with this?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most people who give wedding speeches are pretty nervous anyway so don't worry. Firstly if you have humour in your speech and the people laugh then that's a good start cause it'll help get you relaxed. Post the speech here and we'll try and help you with it if you want.

Speak from the heart what you honestly feel also through a few gay jokes in there like how he was your man but she's taken him away or something like that. Also tell them how your picturing everyone in their underwear to help you calm down.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Opening line from the best man at my mates wedding was.
Blah, Blah, ' I went to my dad for advice on how long my speech should be and his words of advice was as long as the groom lasts in bed, and on that note thank you' He took a seat then got up and said the rest. Was really funny at the time and got it rolling nicely.

Please not that I am retrieving those from my drunk memory and it would have been far better written then that. But you get the idea. Find a funny opener and then get into your speech. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main fear is freezing up... I've never really spoken in front of so many people. I'm hoping that a few drinks will loosen me up a bit. I also have a bit of propanolol left, but I'm not sure yet if this would help. I might also try the age old trick of imagining everyone in their underwear.

·
I smell bull****.
160 Posts
Good luck Jeffery. I too have to do a speech for my sister's wedding but I got a while to go til that happens. Let us know how it goes. Maybe you can practice your speech with us here.

How does propranolol work? I've never went to a psychiatrist or gotten any meds to decrease my anxiety.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i've fantasized about this before, it scared the hell out of me. Now Im thinking when the time comes for my best friend to get married (assuming Im the best man), it'll be an honorable experience to do whatever best men are supposed to do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Write it down and practice it. Make the necessary changes, a little trial and error adding things here and there. But try to make the writing style appear like it wasn't so much written down but more off the top of your head with some improvisation. Like more natural sounding with words that roll off the tongue and captivate the crowd. A bit of humor is always a big hit, perhaps a light-hearted joke relating to the bride and groom before the closing line or it could make a great opener.

I think the most important part though, is getting into the mentality that the people there know that speeches can be nerve-wracking and anything you perceived as mistakes made will fly right over their heads or be forgotten in the sea of alcohol, food, socializing and applause for you almost immediately after you're finished. Take comfort in that public speaking is feared more than death, so you definitely wouldn't be the only one in the room reluctant to get up there and give a speech.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good luck on your wedding speech, your friend must think highly of you to pick you as his best man and for you to speak at his wedding. Practice, practice, practice and what someone else said about speaking from the heart is good, be genuine. You will do fine, everyone gets nervous about speaking in front of others, just practice and because you will be prepared, you will do well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone out who has SA, ever has to do speeches? I have to do a best man speech in front of about 200 people.... yikes. I'm thinking that a few drinks may help before I have to do it may help, but I don't want to give it drunk either.

I want to be able to relax and speech clearly and engage the audience as much as possible.

Any techniques out there, or relaxing meds, or some formula of over the counter meds and alcohol ? I had propanolol prescribed to me once, has anyone had success with this?
  • Just take one breath after another, that's all you have to do.
  • Remember speeches are a positive, healthful thing about communication. Remember, you are supported always.
  • Speeches are about communicating a message or information to people & NOTHING else.
  • Disregard the audience - all that matters is positive steps forward for NO-ONE but YOU personally.

~Peace, Health, Strength, & Wellbeing

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a wedding speech as bestman last spring in my friend's wedding. I was a complete nerve wreck for a couple of days before the speech and hardly slept at all in the night before the day of the wedding.... However, It went well (people seemed to sincerely like it and many complemented me) :)

My advice is to try speak from your heart: say what you feel. And also make it humorous in some way (maybe a funny quotes, recollections or something). I wrote the draft of the speech on paper and practiced it few times (its important to remember what you want to say and what is the order). Check out sample speeches from the internet to get ideas.. I didn't do any meds, drank few glasses of wine & ate the dinner that was served... The situation had loosened up before my turn to speech: everybody had full stomach and were enjoying the wine; also the new mother-in-law made an emotional and touching speech before me. Dont worry about freezing - if prepare well, you wont freeze too badly... People will understand that you are very nervous: they'll be supportive. It'll go well if you prepare well and speak from your heart :)

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Just speak from your heart man. Think of a good story that examples what a great guy and friend the groom is. Tell that to your audience, wish the couple a long and happy marriage, and be sure to acknowledge the bride as well. Oh, and insert humor here or there.

A couple drinks beforehand is not a bad idea too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.