Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name's Ryan. It's nice to meet you all. I'm 23 and I've suffered with social anxiety since I was about 16 years old. I was always a shy person but the social anxiety became quite extreme when I left school at 16.

So, yeah....hiya! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey ryan! it seemed uncanny because im around that age in similar circumstances and i've also just left school! I feel like theres alot we could talk about and im really looking forward to hearing from you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey ryan! it seemed uncanny because im around that age in similar circumstances and i've also just left school! I feel like theres alot we could talk about and im really looking forward to hearing from you!
Hey there! I'm sure there is a lot that we can talk about!

I left school at 16 and regrettably I didn't look back. I actually feel that if I'd attended college and continued with further education, I would not be suffering with SAD to this extreme. I became a bit of a recluse.

I did get into work at the age of 21, and my SAD improved. Now, I'm out of work again and I'm faced with the anxiety of getting a job again! Grrr.

I know that I'm quite a capable person. I'm reasonably intelligent, I'm friendly, and I have a good work ethic but my SAD holds me back.

I don't usually suffer with social anxiety with friends or family. It normally rears its ugly head when I have to participate in big groups of people (usually new people, but I still suffer with talking in big groups, period.) In these situations, my voice will tremble beyond control, I shake, my heart beat goes crazy and I feel physically sick. My mind cannot focus on anything other than how nervous I'm feeling. I don't take in information properly because all I'm worried about is when someone is going to ask me a question, requiring me to speak publicly. I actually had to pull out of group induction for my last job because my fear was uncontrollable. I attended the first day of the induction and pulled out of the second day. I explained my situation to the employer and they offered me a one-on-one induction which I was far more comfortable with.

I was recently prescribed with 10mg propranolol by my doctor and I've used it for a few times since receiving the prescription. I'm not sure how much it's helping me really. I just find that it makes me feel quite tired and lethargic.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Haynes1990! :)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Thank you! Nice to meet you. You can call me Ryan (only if you want to, that wasn't a demand LOL).
Normally, I go by username unless I have permission to use a real name....Ryan :)

I'm John.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts