Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been dealing with social anxiety...well, probably my whole life. It has never really bothered me much before, as I could always find plenty of ways to amuse myself. But lately either I am just paying more attention or people are just talking louder. I seem to encounter much more open verbal hostility from so many people that my nerves are shot. I work for the post office, so being out in the open is part of the job description.

Yes, I know. An immediate 10 points against me.

I have always worked hard to do an excellent job. Very rarely do I get a bad piece of mail back the next day. If you ever see a thin, sweaty letter carrier, you can bet your...whatever...that he/she is a hard worker. (I'm not hyping myself and feel free to bad mouth the post office, I'm just expressing that I've done nothing to warrant any negative feedback.)

Its spring now, so people have their windows open. As I deliver, I hear the most awful things...never about the job I do, about me personally. Which would amuse me because I walk quickly and only old people actually talk to me--so they know nothing about me.

I always smile throughout the day, my appearance is the best I can keep it considering the physical nature of the job, and I'll say "hello" to anyone I see. Most people will either run inside and hide (sometimes to the point that a door slams in my face or a car is left open with groceries and whatnot left out) or they just give me what can only be described as the very epitome of a scowl.

I can start just about every day feeling good, but by the end of the day, I'm pretty enervated.

So, how is everyone else? :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Mike :wels

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing with me.
It's like suddenly I care more about what they think of me.
Like I care so much to the point that it's debilitating & I don't know what do or how to act around people at all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi walkingdude :wel

Some might run & hide like myself from their own SA.

I personally have issue with the deliverers that have delivered to me over the last two decades.

They give my mail & packages to other addresses *every week to 2 weeks*. I order prob. 6 packages a month. Normally one digit will be off on the address they deliver it to. It is correct on the letter/package. Like giving 1456 mail to 1956 or 1455.
I also recieve others letters. I'll either take it to the correct address & put it in their mailbox or resend it, but neighbors will come & beat on my door to give it to me if it's a letter. If it's a package then 3 out of 4 times whoever gets it keeps it & of course it shows as delivered online at usps. This has cost me *a lot of money* & time to order things twice. P.O. Boxes & using fedex or ups are not always available from sellers. Maybe others with similar experiences are a little p.o.'d . Also on occasion people have opened it then brought it to me. This makes me scared to order anything that might be private & I don't want everyone on the street knowing about.

Everyone is a individual so these folks actions have nothing to do with you. I'm sure it is a stressful profession or the saying going postal would not have come about. I wish you much success on recovering from your anxieties walkingdude. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, WalkingDude! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts