Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Ashley and I just wanted to say hi.

I have had SAS pretty much all of my life, but just never knew how to describe it.

I grew up in an anxiety-inducing environment and went through some real rough patches at school during 5th and 6th grade. I went to a small Catholic school that didn't have a lot of resources, so their attempt at creating a math environment for those of us who were "slower" than the others was pulling us out of class in front of everyone and sticking us in the hallway.

Additionally, I was a fat kid, teased a lot, but particularly by another student (who was also fat, so I was REALLY confused) to the point where I had constant stomachaches and cried about going to school.

I love my parents, but they were the type of parents who were too involved with their own emotions to be there for my siblings and I. It's something that I recognize but try not to dwell on, as it just tends to make me angry.

Needless to say, I have developed this weird aversion to school-I went to a different school for 6th, 7th, & 8th grade. Stayed at the same high school, college but am in my second master's program.

I am currently taking a class, have a 95%, but I procrastinated this paper due tonight. It didn't get done and my initial reaction is to just withdraw from the class. As I sat e-mailing my instructor and sobbing, it dawned on me that the procrastination is a product of something more serious than I thought.

I also avoid situations where I have to hang out with my friends from high school. I love them, but for some reason think that because I have gained some weight in the past couple of years, they will think less of me. One is getting married in June and I keep telling myself that I HAVE to go because it's important to her and I am being irrational. Plus, I am getting married next year and I would want her there.

Anyway, I will be discussing this with my therapist, but thought it would be good to be able to talk about this with people who understand what it's like. Can't wait to get to know some of you! :yes

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey Ashley :wels

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, AOKiddo! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.