Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Hello from Brooklyn, NY.
I think I have to introduce myself and write about myself something, but I never told anyone about my problems before, except my psychologist, because it's somewhat embarrassing , so I don't know where to start exactly…

I don't know if people will wellcome me on this forum...

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Some Russian Guy, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I’ll perhaps say something about myself... I’m 28 years old… I am an emigrant from Ukraine… and I had experienced fear of socializing since when I was a teenager. When I turned 18, I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder or social phobia (I don’t know exactly if these conditions are the same). My social phobia manifests itself in that I avoid to engage in social interactions with Americans by fearing ridicule of my bad english… Although I understand everything that is said and written in english, my speech skills are not very good, probably because I had very rarely socialized directly with native english speakers face to face…
It’s a catch 22 actually: my not very good english causes me to fear talking to Americans, and if I don’t talk to Americans, then my english skills are not developing much…
I never worked, and on disability...
I really want to break out from this cycle and force myself to get a job, but I don't know how to start...

·
Registered
192 Posts
:wel

All kinds of accents can be quite charming. I had a Russian professor who had a strong accent, was somewhat awkward and his English wasn't always correct. But those were some of the things that made him unique (and I thought he was cute in both personality and looks). Some of the students laughed at him but not in a mean way. Many of the students and other faculty members really liked and respected him. To be honest, I think that he may have had some social anxiety/shyness. At times he seemed nervous while teaching and talking to some of the students. But nonetheless he still managed to do those things very well.

So, don't be too afraid (although it is only natural) to talk to Americans. You can say something like, "I don't speak very good English but I'm learning...", if it helps. I've heard other people who came from different countries say something similar.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome! Please, enjoy yer stay! Actually I'm new too, so we can figure this place out together. Makes it all less daunting.

·
Improving
987 Posts
Hi Russian Guy. Welcome to SAS!

Social phobia (SP) and social anxiety (SA) are really the same thing although I think the term social anxiety is used more frequently these days. I know what you mean about not being able to tell anyone about your SA. I had also been unable to share it with anyone except my therapist, but I eventually did share it here and it felt really good to be able to share it with people who understand.

I am sure you will find many very kind and understanding people here. I am glad you decided to join us.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Russian Guy. Welcome to SAS!

Social phobia (SP) and social anxiety (SA) are really the same thing although I think the term social anxiety is used more frequently these days. I know what you mean about not being able to tell anyone about your SA. I had also been unable to share it with anyone except my therapist, but I eventually did share it here and it felt really good to be able to share it with people who understand.

I am sure you will find many very kind and understanding people here. I am glad you decided to join us.
I think I suffer from something more sever then social anxiety... When I was 20 years old, I asked my then therapist what am I suffering from and she said it's Schizoaffective disorder. I don't know whether I really am a schizo, or my doctor made an incorrect diagnosis, but in any case, what I have, makes me avoid social situations.
I left college because of my fears of speaking in front of a whole class. I only had one semester left to get my bachelor degree :(
It has been 4.5 years since I left college.

I also suffer from ocd, it makes me repeat same behaviors over and over again. Like checking if the stove is turned off before I go to bed five times or so... Or I wash myself too long...

ok, I'll wrap this up now before I start being too annoying...
and, thanks everyone for understanding! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think I suffer from something more sever then social anxiety... When I was 20 years old, I asked my then therapist what am I suffering from and she said it's Schizoaffective disorder. I don't know whether I really am a schizo, or my doctor made an incorrect diagnosis, but in any case, what I have, makes me avoid social situations.
I left college because of my fears of speaking in front of a whole class. I only had one semester left to get my bachelor degree :(
It has been 4.5 years since I left college.

I also suffer from ocd, it makes me repeat same behaviors over and over again. Like checking if the stove is turned off before I go to bed five times or so... Or I wash myself too long...

ok, I'll wrap this up now before I start being too annoying...
and, thanks everyone for understanding! I appreciate it!
More than likely you are NOT a schizo. People with social anxiety are often misdiagnosed because a lot of doctors do not understand it. If you are on any kind of schizophrenic medicine it will make your social anxiety worse.

I left college because I feared speaking too. One of these days I hope to go back and get my bachelor's degree in general studies. You don't have to talk that much in that major and I only have 29 hours left to complete.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, SomeRussianGuy! :)

We are still welcoming you! :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More than likely you are NOT a schizo. People with social anxiety are often misdiagnosed because a lot of doctors do not understand it. If you are on any kind of schizophrenic medicine it will make your social anxiety worse.

I left college because I feared speaking too. One of these days I hope to go back and get my bachelor's degree in general studies. You don't have to talk that much in that major and I only have 29 hours left to complete.
Good luck with returning to college :)

As for me, I'm taking anti psychotic drugs because it helps me to fall asleep. Without it I can't sleep at night at all. And over the counter sleeping pills don't do a thing for me. I will not return to college, I feel that I can't study academically anymore. But I recently heard about vocational training for disabled in New York, called VESID, so I will try that soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts