Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm not really sure what to write here, but I've had some form of social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Of course, everyone told me it was just a case of shyness I would 'grow out of'. I'm twenty-five now and I'm still waiting for this magical 'growing out of' period to begin.

It's difficult to talk to anyone in my life about my anxiety, my family is considerably intolerant of mental health issues even though it runs in the family. In their eyes my inability to talk to others or effectively 'move on with my life' is solely because I'm 'lazy'.

I wish it was just laziness. :(

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. If you need someone to talk to about (insert topic), feel free to msg me at any time.

·
F♯ A♯ ∞
455 Posts
Hey Rhian

I understand what you're going through. I can't talk to my family either. My mum thinks her advice is the one and only way and everyone else is just apathetic and concerned with their own lives (understandably).

Anxiety is a tool that your mind has developed to protect your from any danger, real or perceived. In our cases it gets carried away, so to speak. I wouldn't say there is ever a 'growing out' period. I'm working with a therapist now to understand and control my anxiety rather than letting the anxiety control me. Our perception of mental illness and how it applies to us can either trap us or help us grow. I can't tell you exactly how you feel and how you should feel as it varies between people but I hope you can change any misconceptions. It is a big help.

I hope this forum can help you

All the best :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome Rhian! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand the whole "laziness" thing as well. I hear that all the time. It is beyond frustrating to not have anyone to talk to, because nobody around you understands.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Rhian welcome. :hyper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts