Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Hello

389 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Toad Licker 
#1 ·
Hi. I discovered this site last night and I'm glad. I'm 21 and for as long as I can remember I've had social anxiety. Sometimes it's not so bad - for instance there are times I've just forced myself to endure/persevere/grin and bear (like when I travelled on my own from the top of this country to the bottom to see someone at a festival) but on the other hand I'll just as easily experience intense discomfort and paranoia. I'm not sure what the term is, or how to describe this accurately, but mostly my mind makes a sort of crashing sound, as if there's a wave in there which increases or decreases in correlation with the discomfort.

I only realised this was an actual disorder a year or two ago but haven't really done anything to sort it out. I'm jobless and totally clueless about what I want to do with my life, but I do have some vague intentions of travelling this year for a short while, so I'd like to make some progress on the anxiety front beforehand.

I read that SAD can be attributed in some cases to genetics: I think most of my family have it. I'm certain my brother has it as he's even shyer than I am, while my parents both exhibit certain things which point to it. Not that any of us have ever discussed this with one another..

Anyway, I'm going to try to revamp my life and feel less ****ty when I go to buy some groceries from the shop. This forum seems like it will be useful; I'll be sticking around.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey CaveNick welcome. :hyper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.