Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm 18 years old and have suffered with social anxiety since the 9th grade of high school. I've never been officially diagnosed, however my nervousness in social situations has made it very, very difficult to make friends, because I have difficulty being comfortable around others. I just started college and making new friends has been a challenge; much harder than I thought it would be. But I know that it's because I don't push myself to break out of my shell and talk to people with confidence. I worry constantly how having very few friends changes how people view me. I feel as though they pity me, which only fuels my anxiety and constant worry. Anyway, I've decided to do everything I can to help myself, so I hope that this will all be behind me soon. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi! i'm new here to and i feel exactly how you do. i wont even comment on some things because i'm afraid of what people might say:D but i feel pretty safe here..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jaykay! I'm new here too, and can definitely relate. I've always had anxiety, but it got much worse during my first semester of college. I was--and still am--extremely self-conscious around people, even those that are my closest friends. I had a hard time feeling comfortable around people during my first year because I was too worried about what they thought about me. Things got a lot better when I started seeing someone from my school's counseling services, but my anxiety still resurfaces a lot. Let me know if you ever want to talk.

Also, I think that the number of friends you have doesn't really matter. What does matter is whether or not you enjoy being around them, and if they like you for who you are.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey jakay122 welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Jakay122! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts