Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Michael. Just as a short intro, I'm 21 and just graduated college as a psychology major. I'm hoping to go to medical school eventually to hopefully become a psychiatrist.

I've struggled with social anxiety, as well as general anxiety, for as long as I can remember. However, I only recently started treatment. I began taking Paxil in May this year, and I'm hoping that it eventually improves my situation. I typically become extremely nervous whenever I meet new people and withdraw whenever I'm at a party or some other social gathering. I just become so over-reactive when talking to people and become extremely self-conscious. I also find it very difficult to warm up to people, which has caused me to have only one close friendship and to feel lonely most of the time. I'm not totally sure from where my anxiety stems. I have issues regarding self-consciousness with my appearance and my sexual orientation (I'm gay). Of course, there's also the possibility of a neurochemical cause.

I'm joining this forum just to get advice for how to deal with my social anxiety and to learn how to manage social situations despite it. I'm just so tired of my anxiety issues dominating my life.

Also, sorry if that post was too long!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, MD0816! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts