Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Reframer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I'm 19 (soon to be 20) and have had social anxiety since about 13 years of age. Before that I was a fearless child who would talk to anyone and introduce myself to everyone (adults and children alike). Now I have a hard time even making eye contact. I really, really improved my first year of university and was just talking to strangers left and right (once went on a two hour train ride and started talking to a lovely old lady before we boarded and she decided to sit with me for the whole trip and we had a great discussion), but my second year was a little more stressful in terms of my personal relationships with people and so I really, really relapsed. I'm having a harder time reaching out to people than ever before, even my family, and I feel my mind becoming tinged a little bit more by suicidal thoughts (which had greatly improved since December). I wasn't even sure if I would be able to write this post because things feel so much more exhausting lately if they take even the slightest amount of emotional effort. Much of my problems with social anxiety, I believe, stem from my fear of shame and failure and rejection, etc, etc, so I'm trying to be proactive and to take chances and such to get over that fear (taking exposure therapy by the antlers and wrestling that beast to the ground until I've won), now and for the rest of my life. But, as taking chances outside of the internet is a little more daunting for me right now, I'm thinking that joining this website is a step in the very right direction (so right it's practically left). Well, that's kind of the life story of my social anxiety I suppose.

I consider myself to be very friendly if you're friendly too (and this looks like a very welcoming community with very friendly people), so, although I'm new to the site and don't quite understand how everything works 100%, feel free to contact me if you'd like to talk: struggles, high-fiveable moments in your life, something you're proud of, I don't know :) I'd love to help others improve as I improve as well -- provide support just like the website's name promises :D My profile lists things I like in life (some, but not all), so if you like them too we can share in our common liking of these delightful things as well :yes

·
Reframer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! :D

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, SocialButterflyToBe! :)

·
Reframer
20 Posts