Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· wtf
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had selective mutism (SM) since I was five. Did anyone have that ever? I'm having trouble finding other fellow SMers. SM means that I was very expressive in certain situations and almost mute in most public situations including school.

In adolescence I developed anxiety b/c of my inexperience. I was also (and still am) kind of avoidant.

This is a great site by the way! Hope to hear from fellow SAers!

· Banned
177,635 Posts
Hey alohomora welcome. :)

· ಠ ¿ ಠ
941 Posts
Hello there. I can say that I myself have had an extreme case of selective mutism in the past, as I went completely mute during my three years of middle school whenever I was anywhere away from my family due to the severity of the social trauma I suffered, but I've since improved over time by steadily taking small steps in the right direction in coming to terms with and overcoming SA.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I had selective mutism as a child and I do believe it has morphed into social anxiety. I'm glad to find others here who dealt with it. Mine's a particularly long story that I don't mind sharing at a later date. :)

· Registered
112 Posts
:wel

You know, it sounds like that's what I may have had as a young child. Selective mutism. In elementary school I think I remember being like that. Thanks for the post it was informative for me. Welcome to the SA forum!

· PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,745 Posts
Oh yeah. I have that. I'm crazy with friends. I'm dead quiet in school. Ugh.

· Registered
146,606 Posts
Welcome, Alohomora! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.