Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 31 years old. I have suffered from social anxiety for a lot of years. I do not have trouble socializing with someone once I get to know them. However, I am very shy and have trouble making new friends. At work, I am a loner-there are a few people I feel comfortable but they have reached out to me first. I have a hard time being proactive in forming relationships.. I do not mind being in groups where I can simply hide. Once I get to know people, I am very open and outgoing-I was class clown in high school. It's just hard to me to get over that initial push to make a new friendship and be social.

For example, if I see there is a single person waiting for an elevator, I will go to the bathroom and then hopefully they will be gone when I come back. I also do not talk to many people if I do not have to. I don't make one on one time with anyone if I don't have to. I think my career is suffering for it.

I am not sure what to do. I do not want to do medication-don't think that is a solution.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey pittguy578, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, PittGuy578! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome.

For example, if I see there is a single person waiting for an elevator, I will go to the bathroom and then hopefully they will be gone when I come back.
I've done things like that before, when I was in college I couldn't leave my dorm room if there were people standing in the hall in front of my door.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts