Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on a forum ever.

I'm a 28 year old woman living in upstate New York. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I have social phobia, and I've never met anyone else who does. I got picked on in school and I've never even been on a date in my life. I'm unemployed right now and I still live with my mother in the house I grew up in. My parents went through a really bad divorce when I was in my senior year of college. I went to a psychiatrist all through college and went through several different medications but it didn't help at all. Then I went to one of the grad students at the university psychological clinic and for the first I had a chance to really talk to someone about my life and I was able to gain insight and express my emotions. I couldn't keep going there forever and right now I've just started with a new therapist and we're going to work on actually interacting with people - and this is my first step!

I don't have any friends and I've been really lonely and frustrated. Maybe I can feel better by being a part of this community.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to SAS. I'm in the process of working with a therapist to overcome my SA too. It takes baby steps, right? :) And I'll gladly add you to my friends list! :D

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Bianca, welcome to :sas

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Hi Corvid! I feel for you. That sounds very similar to my experiences recently. I'm finished school, staying with my mother, waiting on a real job. My parents split up when I was in university, which was very strange.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Corvid! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks. It's good have a connection to someone, and to feel like people won't judge you when you tell them about your life. I feel better already.

For the curious: I identify with Family Corvidae because they're intelligent, resourceful, good at problem-solving and big on recycling, though historically maligned. I'm thinking in particular of the American Crow Corvus Brachyrynchos since it's a part of the local avifauna here (I live near Binghamton, actually) although I am not a Native American by heritage: I was born in Buffalo but I am an Italian-American through one side and a German national through the other.
I can observe crows from my window along with a number of other types of wildlife. Their size makes them seem so human to me when they walk; I think of the ancient Egyptian concept of the soul as a bird with a human head, like in Escher's images. It reminds me of the age-old puzzle of the meaning of human existence: I have imagined them to be self-satisfied burghers concerned only about filling their bellies, or to possess some secret, but important significance (perhaps even magic - I love fantasy fiction), or to be only flesh and blood automatons: like in "The Matrix Reloaded" (haven't seen the third one) "There's a program for everything...a program for the birds..." (In all, I'm a stalwart agnostic)
When one is perched in a tree it seems sometimes to be watching over the area like a guardian, or watching the world, like Odin's news-gathering ravens, Hugin and Munin, "Thought" and "Memory" (two things I value highly).
They're a social species, at any rate, and they cooperate with each other: really an inspiration for us all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts