Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
My name is Michelle and I'm 30 years old. About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with depression and SA. My main symptom of SA is blushing. Everything else that goes along with it doesn't bother me as much. I guess I'm used to being really shy. After being on different medications for a while, I weaned myself off. I think the depression was postpartum depression because it wasn't as bad when I went off the medications.
Anyway, like I said - my main symptom is blushing and that's mostly with authority figures. I used to blush in front of my old boss, but then I didn't have to meet with him face to face as much anymore. I was laid off for a little more than a year, then I recently started a new job 2 months ago. Everything was perfect. On Thursday, my boss asked me a question that didn't make sense to me and instead of asking her to clarify I stumbled then turned beet red. It was so bad, that I had to say, "I don't feel so good" and I ran to the bathroom. When I came back I told her I felt light headed and nauseous. I thought that would be in my past but I did the same thing again today. Except this time, it would seem really weird if I ran to the bathroom again, so I had to sit there and squirm. I am so humiliated. Everything was fine until 2 days ago. I have an appointment with my family Dr. tomorrow morning and hopefully she can prescribe something until I can see a Psychiatrist. I am terrified because my boss is going away next week and is going over all the work on Monday. I have stomach aches because I'm so humiliated from this past week. Ok, enough of me rambling, can I ask some questions?

Do you get chest pains (I have been getting chest pains lately)?

What medications are typically precsribed for SA?

Does anyone else blush around authority figures?

If you got this far, you have a lot of respect from me! lol Thank you for your help and I look forward to meeting all of you!
Michelle

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Michelle, welcome to :sas

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Michelle, welcome aboard! I have the same blushing problem, and being pretty fair skinned its always that much more noticeable. I've pretty much always avoided authority figures like the plague, everyone from doctors to teachers to bosses. I don't so much get pain in my chest as feel like my heart is going to explode from beating so fast, rapid breathing and nausea. All of which of course makes me feel that much more uncomfortable and self conscious as I'm standing there like a deer in the headlights, its definitely a vicious circle!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi Michelle, I have always had problems with blushing as well. The way i've learned to cope with it is to accept it as part of me, instead of fighting it. The more you try to stop blushing, the more you will blush, so when it happens, just let it happen and it will pass. I also tell the people I trust most that I blush. If they are going to tell me something personal or intimate, I tell them to go ahead, but to know that I will probably blush, even though i'm not embarrassed. That way, when it does happen, I don't worry about it and it soon goes. I also try to focus my attention on something else if I blush, anything that is in the room, and really study it (but still paying enough attention to the person talking to me), this seems to calm my blushing down.

I sometimes get chest pains as well. These can be a sign of anxiety, but if they don't go away, do get checked out, just to be on the safe side. Mine aren't so bad anymore; when I was a teenager they could be really bad. I remember before one exam at college not being able to get up off my bed, I was in so much pain. Eventually it passed, but it was a horrible experience.

Glad you've joined these forums, and hope you find them as useful as I have.

Steve

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, NickyBlueEyes! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drinking cold water is known to shrink the blood vessels i the cheeks. It works if you do it as you start to blush.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Blushing is my main issue as well. Days where I feel comfortable in my own skin it isn't a problem though, and if I do turn a little red it doesn't bother me as much. But yeah, it never stops so I'm just continuing to deal with it and think nothing of it. But I'd avoid talking to people just to prevent that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts