Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm estikei, Germany-based anxiety patient aged end 20ies.
I've been struggling with social anxiety ever since I was about 14 years old. In those days i was being bullied by some freaks in school, which apparently kickstarted my anxiety.

In those days, attending classes I was heavily sweating from nervousness, which of course made me an objective for even more bullying. I recovered to be one of the cool guys some years later, but never overcame SA.

I've been incredibly successful in the meantime, achieving an engineers degree and making a career that led me to be a manager in a large US company.
However, still today I'm suffering hard from SA and after taking a new job opportunity not so long ago I've been struggling even more.

I cannot stand being in the center of attention, i cannot bear the thought to be not able to escape a situation unnoticed, I cannot eat out together with colleagues.
I feel pressure rising in me, making me sick and feeling like i need to vomit. Of course I've never vomited - ever since I'm 14.

Remarkably, this is only true for my job life. Private side I'm almost 100% strain-free, apart from feeling the same in cinemas or airplanes. Also, I have full support from my wife and family, who all know about my deficite.

I decided to do something and for the first time searched for a doctor to fix me up. I'm now undergoing therapy and have been perscribed Moclobemid 1 1/2 weeks ago after having a real crisis trying Paroxetine prior to that.

Let's see how it goes... I'm looking for some orientation here, since in Germany going public with a disease like that is not really common.

Cheers!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Estikei! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts