Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been suffering with Social Anxiety Disorder for about 40 years now. I constantly think that if I have to speak to anyone, that I'll make a mistake or say something stupid and will be made fun of for it. I do everything I can to avoid having to go to lunch with friends, etc. I hate any form of social interaction. I don't work because of it. I've been diagnosed with a few other disorders, but this is the one I hate most. I hate how many things I've been missing out on it because of it. I hope I can get some help from this forum.

Does anyone know of any online group meetings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey MzDisney,

Hi! I'm new here too. Looks like a bunch of peeks at your post and no replies so I will say hello. I hate social interaction either but I find I'm ever-so-slightly better on some days which is kind of odd. I don't know of any online meetings but I did Google "Social Anxiety meetups" and the city/state I'm in and found some some groups. Hopefully you can try that and get some results. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MzDisney,

Hi! I'm new here too. Looks like a bunch of peeks at your post and no replies so I will say hello. I hate social interaction either but I find I'm ever-so-slightly better on some days which is kind of odd. I don't know of any online meetings but I did Google "Social Anxiety meetups" and the city/state I'm in and found some some groups. Hopefully you can try that and get some results. :)
Thanks for replying! I wish I had ever-so-slightly days. If I could, I'd spend every day inside my house with the blinds drawn and the cell phone off. I admit that I find myself doing that a few times a week, especially if I have no errands to run, etc. If I do, I'll usually wait for DH to get home so we can go together and I won't have to go alone.

I didn't have any luck finding a meetup that wasn't at least an hour drive from me. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able to get myself to attend one. That's why I would like to begin with something online first, and then maybe eventually I'll feel comfortable enough to go to a meeting in person.

Do you have any methods that you use to help you with the anxiety. My doctor says Exposure Therapy is good but how am I supposed to get out there and meet people if I'm scared to death of doing it? If I took a chance and it went badly, I don't think I'd ever be able to try again. Do I want to rake that chance?

:| feeling frustrated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi MzDisney! You're my first greeting of the day. I'm also new like you and Alucard up there though less new than I was yesterday.

I absolutely agree with you. Of any of the disorders I've been diagnosed with, Social Anxiety is the worst-the most inconvenient and debilitating of them all. It's truly awful isn't it? :(

I think joining this forum could be a kind of exposure therapy. I don't know if there are official SA groups here, but this whole forum is filled with people who are going through or who have gone through similar things.

Also, you've lived with Social anxiety for 40 years, and though you say you feel you're missing out or have missed out on a lot of things in life, you're probably a wealth of experience and information that could do a lot of people a lot of good. It is very nice to meet you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for replying! I wish I had ever-so-slightly days. If I could, I'd spend every day inside my house with the blinds drawn and the cell phone off. I admit that I find myself doing that a few times a week, especially if I have no errands to run, etc. If I do, I'll usually wait for DH to get home so we can go together and I won't have to go alone.

I didn't have any luck finding a meetup that wasn't at least an hour drive from me. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able to get myself to attend one. That's why I would like to begin with something online first, and then maybe eventually I'll feel comfortable enough to go to a meeting in person.

Do you have any methods that you use to help you with the anxiety. My doctor says Exposure Therapy is good but how am I supposed to get out there and meet people if I'm scared to death of doing it? If I took a chance and it went badly, I don't think I'd ever be able to try again. Do I want to rake that chance?

:| feeling frustrated
I'm sorry you didn't find anything close to your area but I definitely understand feeling like you can't go. It's very hard to make that first step. I'm looking for a smaller group that I can start out with and then build up a little at a time. The best advice I've heard on here so far is about getting yourself "in the moment". When you start feeling afraid or anxious focus on your physical state. The feel of something in your hand, an object nearby, the feel of your clothing on your skin, your breath moving in and out, etc. I think it helps to focus on what's actually real rather than perceived fears. I'm going to try this next time I start feeling this way. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CBT

I've been checking out the books that are listed on this site. Has anyone ever used Cognitive Behavior Therapy? I feel as though I'm not making any progress with my current therapist. It's like a one way street. I tell her my issues and she just says stuff like "That's lousy" or "That's too bad", and doesn't give me any suggestions as to how to deal with it. I'd try to find another one but she works in the same office as my ARNP that prescribes my meds. Thinking about finding a new team but, having Social Anxiety, it will be super hard to start over with new people. Plus, what if the new people are even worse than my current practitioners? What a conundrum. :(

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, MzDisney! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts