Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beneath the Surface
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I to have a terrible time in social settings. I often get mistaken as being anti-social due to my inability articulate myself verbally. I am 21 yr old college student in Northern California. It's is nice to see a group of people with similar issues that are here to help each other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi, im also a college student i started this year woot woot but i feel you on that everything that i say has to go through a filter in my head its automatic i cant help it i guess i develope it out of a fear of being judged like i dont want to talk b/c of the fear that people wont like what i say or that i will say something dumb or i will get tripped up and look like an idiot infront of other so as a consiquence i only speak when i have to or when im with close friends that i know are just as dumb and cool with it as i am

·
Beneath the Surface
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea man that's exactly what happens to me. As soon I step outside I start to feel anxious. I only feel comfortable when I play sports or I'm around people who know me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
23 year old college student here. I'm starting to feel a little old for undergrad, lol. It's funny how social anxiety is, often times, a symptom of hypersensitivity to the way people perceive us, and at the same time so seriously affects the way people perceive us. A little vicious, isn't it? Welcome. :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Lmatic3030 welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Lmatic3030! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hear you. I might have a phrase stored up that sounds both witty and apt in my head, but then I stand there trying desperately in the few short seconds I have to key into my brain the right tone of voice for the situation, the right speed and level of enthusiasm expected, and then at the last moment I double take and wonder if it really is an appropriate thing to say after all, and it either pours out in an unintelligible jumble or else gets substituted with the first inane thing that comes into my head. I am usually concentrating so hard on trying to get it right that I end up coming across as self-absorbed and distracted anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts