Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just joined right now and this is my first post. I'm pretty sure I have SA, depression and generalized anxiety. Hopefully this forum will help me a little in coping with my SA. I've never really tried to do anything about it. I bought a book on it once, read it, but didn't do any of the exercises. I've thought about counseling but am too scared to and don't have a whole lot of money. I am also thinking about buying Dr. Thomas Richards "Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step" but am hesitating. Any suggestions on how I should start to deal with my SA and depression?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Hey Ide22, I'm in your shoes as well right now.

My 2 cents: educate yourself & dedicate yourself. Use the internet to read articles about basic social skills, how to have & show confidence, and how to be positive. Make it a personal goal to step out of your social comfort zone daily, even if it's something as small as saying "hi" to someone before they say hi to you. Little things like that may seem irrelevant, but you'll be pleasantly surprised at the boost in confidence you get.

Understand that SA will not go away over night. Start out small and take baby steps, but push yourself to do it. Be patient and be persistent.

Good luck!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Paul, welcome to :sas

·
For Fox Sake
797 Posts
hi im sadfox not left house for 4 days but will try to today i have depression and chronic anxiety around other people never had any friends and im old nearly 34 :afri like wwe and tna wrestling and most rock and metal music:susnew on the forum im from hamilton in scotland:yes

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Ide22! :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello to myself. I was just looking through all the threads I have started, and noticed that it has been 5 years since I joined this forum and made this post!

Has my social anxiety and depression changed or has anything else changed in my life changed in the past 5 years? Depressingly mostly no. My social anxiety and depression are pretty much the same, my generalized anxiety is mostly gone but I think that's because it turned into more depression. I still don't think I have really even tried very hard to get over my SA and depression though, which is even more depressing to think about. I have read a few more books on social anxiety and depression but never really did the exercises though.

I did try therapy 2 times though and even joined a "group therapy" but none of them helped. The first therapist I went to was the therapist I had from when I had to go to rehab for smoking cannabis when I was in highschool. I would see him maybe once a month at most, and I saw him maybe 10 times at most, he was never very helpful so I eventually stopped going to him. The 2nd time I tried seeing a therapist, I went to a regular doctor for my depression and he referred me to a psychiatrist, so I made an appointment and they prescribed me lexapro for my anxiety and depression. I tried the medication for a few weeks and didn't like the side affects it was giving me so I just stopped. The same clinic also scheduled me an appointment with a psychologist, and so I saw him maybe twice and he was horrible and so I stopped going. The third time, I joined a "group therapy" for social anxiety and at first he seemed pretty good but there was a very small group - only 3 of us. I really tried his group therapy for about 2 months (we would meet once a week) but he was really disorganized and would talk about random topics every week so I stopped going. Also I was paying $25 per week and I really couldn't afford that so that's also why I stopped.

I also downloaded the "overcoming social anxiety step by step program" and tried it for a few weeks, but one day I did the relaxation exercise that is in week 4 I think and it made me feel really weird and I think it actually gave me a panic attack! So I stopped trying that program. I've been meaning to try it again, but I never do.

So I'm still pretty much in the same place I was 5 years ago. I still live with my parents. I still work at my part time job that I hate. I'm still going to community college! And I still have no clue what I'm going to do for a career.

The only minor things that have changed are, I got my associates degree (which is basically useless), and I changed positions in my job (I still get paid the same but do something different).

The one major thing that has changed in the last 5 years is that I managed to make one real friend! I just got really lucky. I joined meetup.com a few years ago and started going to meetup groups for social anxiety and depression (doing that one thing has had the most impact on my social life, and is the only place where I actually am able to socialize with people). Eventually someone joined one of the meetup groups that I was in for anxiety and depression, and she has anxiety but not social anxiety. She emailed me asking me about the group and stuff, and we ended up talking on the phone and them meeting in person and then started hanging out and then we went on one official "date" but then decided to be just friends. Then she got really mad at me for reasons I'm still not completely sure why, but she felt like I was just "going with the flow" and telling her what I thought she wanted me to tell her and wasn't being honest with my feelings. And so we almost ended up not being friends but then she kind of forgave me and we stayed friends. And now we have been good friends for a little over a year now.

So that is all that has happened in the 5 years since I first joined this forum and made this introductory post. I haven't used this forum that much in those past 5 years, sometimes I would go on it almost everyday for a week or so, and other times I wouldn't log in for months at a time. But I still come back every once in a while and I still have the same login and username which is amazing. I just thought I would use this thread as somewhat of a personal journal and maybe I will read it in another 5 years and hopefully my life will be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts