Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Hello everyone

594 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  lastofthekews 
#1 ·
Well, I have very bad anxiety 24/7 and it gets even worse when outside, when in stores or gas stations and such, and/or around groups of people. I get nervous, sweaty, shaky, my thoughts race, I think people are talking about me and staring at me even when I know they have no reason to, I can't stop moving and messing with things, and sometimes I even have small muscle spasms in my legs and face. I can't even have any friends because of this. I get too worried around other people so I'm anti-social and lonely.

I'm 16. I've tried to tell my mom to talk to the doctor about it but she always just says tough it out and blah blah blah. Then when I do go to the doctor, my mom doesn't let me talk much and she tells him the wrong things. She and my doctor assume that I have depression problems but I know I don't. I've been on dozens of anti-depression and ADHD meds all my life since I was 7. I always have to switch meds because they never seem to work on me. They always gives me stuff for depression like SSRI drugs like prozac, zoloft, etc.

I've also had a problem in the past (year and a half ago) with drug abuse but I quit. Maybe this stops him from giving me the meds that I think will actually effect me? I've been off drugs for so long. I don't understand.

I'm tired of it! I don't know what I can do to make my mom listen to me. I can't deal with this anymore. It's driving me crazy. I need something that will actually help me out and I don't know how I can. I'm suffering. It's so bad that I'm going kinda insane. My anxiety is controlling my life.

Now finally my therapist and doctor are kinda listening to me and believing me. I have to go in and see this certain doctor of some sort and hes been highly recommending Buspar. I'm most likely going to be prescribed that but I honestly want just Xanax because I KNOW that Xanax works. I've taken Xanax before (not recreationally but I was given a 1mg before). He says its better because it has less side effects and is less addicting but it takes weeks to actually work correctly, and to me this seems like another type of SSRI or an anti-psychotic. I've never been fond of those. What does everyone here think about Buspar? I've already read a decent amount about it and it seems like its complete crap.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey SufferingSoul :wels

#7 ·
I hear buspar is a piece of crap as well. I went into my doctors office and just told her I wanted some sort of a benzo. She could tell I was obviously really anxious and she asked me some questions and figured out I was knowledgeable about this sort of thing. I also told her that people on my social anxiety forum say that the only things that really work are benzo's, just tell the truth etc. I only wanted a real small supply just to get a job but she ended up giving me over 2 months supply and told em to come back in before she writes another one. I really like her a lot she is really cool. I haven't even needed to use the ativan that she prescribed me yet. Only for emergencies. I am trying to beat it naturally myself but it is nice to know I have it if anything happens and I have a really bad time at work or something.

#8 ·
I hear buspar is a piece of crap as well. I went into my doctors office and just told her I wanted some sort of a benzo. She could tell I was obviously really anxious and she asked me some questions and figured out I was knowledgeable about this sort of thing. I also told her that people on my social anxiety forum say that the only things that really work are benzo's, just tell the truth etc.
Nice. I guess I will try the same thing and just straight up tell them the same way you did. Wish me luck!

#9 ·
:wel

I've also had a problem in the past (year and a half ago) with drug abuse but I quit. Maybe this stops him from giving me the meds that I think will actually effect me? I've been off drugs for so long. I don't understand.
That could well be part of the reason. Doctors don't like giving any potentially "addictive" drug to those with a history of drug problems. Actually, many don't like giving such drugs to anybody period. And being off drugs from 18 months probably isn't deemed so long by a doctor. At 16 I know it seems like a long time, but when you're old like me you'll see how short a time that really is.

As for Buspar, I can't think of any med that is more universally deemed useless. It works for some, but you won't find many who like it.

#10 ·
:wel

That could well be part of the reason. Doctors don't like giving any potentially "addictive" drug to those with a history of drug problems. Actually, many don't like giving such drugs to anybody period. And being off drugs from 18 months probably isn't deemed so long by a doctor. At 16 I know it seems like a long time, but when you're old like me you'll see how short a time that really is.

As for Buspar, I can't think of any med that is more universally deemed useless. It works for some, but you won't find many who like it.
Well then what do you think I should do/say to get the medicine that I truly believe I need? I really don't like it how they always get to choose for me, it's like i'm being controlled. I should have the right to choose the medicine i want and think is right for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.