Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name's Matt and I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety earlier this year, though now that I know what it is, I can tell that I've had anxiety problems since I was younger and it all just recently exploded (recently as December 2008). Here's my story of when I knew I needed help.

It was my birthday, 12/12/08 and I had semester finals at UTSA, where I worked on my first college semester. I haven't been back to school since. I was so nervous and anxious about even being on the campus that I called my professor and rescheduled to take the exam alone in a private area. I was living in San Antonio with two of my friends in a 2 bedroom apartment, and we had a lot of fun, my anxiety rarely showing itself. But when I had to go to school or take my finals as mentioned, I would freak. I wasn't nervous about how I did on the test, I knew I was going to fail my classes regardless (poor attendance, very low quiz and other test grades). It was the people I was afraid of. It was as if I could feel every single person, laughing at me or whispering about me behind my back. I thought that every single eyes in the campus were fixated on me and I was helpless to it all. I ended up dropping out of school and heading home to my parents' for a break. A week later, I came back up to San Antonio and as I walked into the apartment, the feeling of belonging there and being at home or at the very least in an anxiety free environment was gone. I couldn't stay there anymore and dropped out of school and moved back home.

When I'm anxious, I get nauseous, and I have a very strong gag reflex that only compounds the issue, making it difficult for me to eat/drink anything other than water or Sprite. This used to never happen to me at home, until about a week ago when in the morning, I would feel anxious and nervous when I woke up and be very nauseous. It's not nearly as bad as the apartment, so I'm very thankful that I've got some degree of control over this. I'm hoping that I can talk to you all about my problems and get some help from this community, and maybe I can even help too. While I'm not great with my own life, I'm a pretty good problem solver for others.

Anyways, if you took the time to read this, I appreciate it and hope that if you have any tips on dealing with anxiety, or even the just the nausea part, I would appreciate it.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Nausea is a killer, isn't it? I looked into some relaxation techniques to help with this. It seems to work for me. I would say that it takes some practice though, every day, and persistence. Try something recorded that guides you through tensing and relaxing each muscle group. Eventually, you will get to the point where all you have to do is think, "relax", and it will happen naturally.

good luck to you, I hope you get some useful tips here.
L

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Matt welcome. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Banned
118 Posts
I was living in San Antonio with two of my friends in a 2 bedroom apartment, and we had a lot of fun, my anxiety rarely showing itself.
Hi Matt! This part of your story really got to me because I've experienced the same thing with my friends/roommates in college. It's a great feeling to be that comfortable and not such a great one when you have to venture outside of it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Dunky! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts