Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site a few weeks ago while looking for SA support groups and thought I should say hi. I am 32 years old and SA has been bothering me since about sixth grade. I wasted seven years of my life after highschool in seclusion, and now i am determined to overcome SA, or at least live in spite of it. So I am trying to talk to people, maybe make some friends, maybe a boyfriend...

but it is difficult when I feel so awkward, having missed out on all of the social experience of high school and most of my 20's. I feel really socially clueless, like I probably weird people out. Does anyone else feel this way?

anyway, glad to have found this site!

·
Registered
177 Posts
you summed up my past 10 years as well, and feel like i'm planning to start my 20's at the age of 32. Not sure if I can do that, but my plan is to at least condense it in a year or something :D after things get better. The hardest part for me was dealing with the regret of missing out on all those years which for me was a lot of crying and moping around.
Another problem is the arrested state of development, and the quick realization that I'd better grow up, like think about long term money and kids.
The one I still can't understand is tight around the ankle jeans, but I'm slowly getting used to that.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Firefly9 welcome. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Firefly9! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hardest part for me was dealing with the regret of missing out on all those years which for me was a lot of crying and moping around.
I still have this regret sometimes :(
The one I still can't understand is tight around the ankle jeans, but I'm slowly getting used to that.
I refuse to go along with that. Just....no.

·
Registered
64 Posts
welcome to you,
yeh what you say sounds bit like me as well. im 30 and have had SAD since school, secondary school we call it here in UK. always felt like i was different or weird in some way. never had many friends, cant seem to connect to anybody,after working a week i can sometimes spend a whole weekend in the house. i no, i no, its the worst thing to do but its also the easiest! but we gotta stay positive,or at least try

·
Registered
5 Posts
34 here

Well, you're not the oldest here and hopefully I'm not. Well I guess that's not the point. I know what you mean about wasting years, I wasted 6 years at a terrible job that didn't pay anything and I think I stayed there because I didn't think I could get anything else. You know I read something awhile back about how someone can be depressed and not even know it and when I started researching SAD, I started thinking about my life and how I felt day to day. How can someone be truly happy living with SAD, I don't think it's possible.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi firefly9 :wel

I isolated myself for many many years too. Feel awkward yes.
We can do it though.

On the age thing. I'm 40 & have seen others in their 40's, 50's & I believe mid 70's.
Sometimes some people of any age. younger to older state that they have basically givin up are beyond repair no longer care, etc. Maybe they do no longer care I don't know.
I personally haven't & do. I have moments of extreme frustration but still think I can create a happier much more fruitful life for myself & that's what my intentions are. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts