Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i'm new here and am hoping you can help me and maybe i'll be able to help some of you too

i've had social anxiety since i was a child, up untill a few years ago i just thought i was very shy, then i started to realize it was something more than that and thought i was alone with my "strange" problem

although i've been depressed for years now, over the last 6-7 months my depression has become quite scary, to say the least. lately i've been having mood swings too, i'll be wishing i was dead for hours to days at a time, then most of the time i'm moderately depressed, but then for maybe an hour or two every other day or so, i'll feel extremely happy, even a little hyperactive, which can be very embarrassing:afr

so 4 weeks ago i visited my doctor and she diagnosed me with social anxiety disorder, and put me on 40mg of propranolol as needed upto 3 times day, this only slightly helps with my physical symptoms (tremers, difficulty breathing, sweeting, especially sweety hand's, shaking) so 3 days ago she put me on one citilopram per day, 10mg for the first week then 20mg for two weeks, then she'll decide if i need a larger dose.
i've also been referred to a therapist, but this can take upto 20 weeks on the nhs:eek:

i would appreciate any advice anyone can give me, thanks

·
Nobody's Perfect
1,105 Posts
Hi Welcome. I was on citilopram for my depression, but I have stopped taking it. I didn't like some of the side effects I was getting. How is that going for you? I have been having some really bad mood swings too lately and I'm wandering what is wrong with me all the time. You seem to be a bit like me. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply kiwigirl, so far the citalopram has made it a little hard to sleep and makes me feel sickly in the morning's, i take it about 2 hours after waking, the sickness is before i take my daily dose, it also gives me a mild headache that comes and goes every few hours. no other side effects so far, but it's only my third day, so i'm expecting more side effects to come:afr

i know what you meen about the mood swing's, very strange and scary, not sure if this is just another part of SA, or something else?

·
Nobody's Perfect
1,105 Posts
Hey. Citalopram made me feel very drowsy, I felt nausea most of the time. With my mood swings one minute I'm happy the next I'm really down, but I am under a bit of stress though at the moment. I don't know whats happening with me lately. Its good to talk to other people about it though. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i've been finding that talking really helps with the depression, but mainly at the time of actually talking to someone, i do think that getting it all out will eventually help in a more sustainable way though, it's just not going to happen overnight

my current plan is to fuel my self help efforts with, medication, therapy and talking to others like me on SAS and facebook and gradually telling my few remaining friends of my condition. it's not going to be easy, but i'm determined to succeed:yes

hope you start feeling less stressed soon kiwigirl;)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, DaveJones! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
hi everyone, i'm new here and am hoping you can help me and maybe i'll be able to help some of you too

i've had social anxiety since i was a child, up untill a few years ago i just thought i was very shy, then i started to realize it was something more than that and thought i was alone with my "strange" problem

although i've been depressed for years now, over the last 6-7 months my depression has become quite scary, to say the least. lately i've been having mood swings too, i'll be wishing i was dead for hours to days at a time, then most of the time i'm moderately depressed, but then for maybe an hour or two every other day or so, i'll feel extremely happy, even a little hyperactive, which can be very embarrassing:afr

so 4 weeks ago i visited my doctor and she diagnosed me with social anxiety disorder, and put me on 40mg of propranolol as needed upto 3 times day, this only slightly helps with my physical symptoms (tremers, difficulty breathing, sweeting, especially sweety hand's, shaking) so 3 days ago she put me on one citilopram per day, 10mg for the first week then 20mg for two weeks, then she'll decide if i need a larger dose.
i've also been referred to a therapist, but this can take upto 20 weeks on the nhs:eek:

i would appreciate any advice anyone can give me, thanks
Hi Dave Jones, welcome! I have been on Citalopram for four years now, and it saved my life. it got rid of the suicidal thoughts so they werent half as bad. Im an aussie and was diagnosed in the UK where i was living for a couple of years in Manchester. It's definiitely trial and error with meds, i hope the Citalopram helps you!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey dave jones welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the support and warm welcome;)

the citalopram is starting to make me feel very sickly now, and the headaches have got a little worse, but i'm gonna try my best to get past the side effects.
Cassabell it's good to hear that citalopram has helped you, this is very encouraging

·
Registered
17 Posts
welcome

hi dave. welcome.
ur mind state sounds remarkably familiar. i'd appreciate it if u'd let me kno how meds treat u. starting to consider it myself. good luck man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks savril:)
hi HellIsOtherPeople i'll be sure to keep you updated on how well the meds work, i'll pm you whenever anything significant happens, so far though its just been sickness and headaches, but its still early days
the propranolol does help abit with the tremors, breathing and shaking, but not always so good for the sweety hands

thanks again everyone, i really appreciate all the help;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts